fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Historic Commission announces award winners

ASHLAND - Ashland Springs Hotel received the commercial category Distinguished Architectural Preservation Award from the town's Historic Commission. Four other projects and three individuals were also honored for their efforts to preserve or enhance the historic character of the town.

Owners Becky and Doug Neuman spent $10 million to restore the 1925 building that was originally called the Lithia Springs Hotel and later the Mark Antony. It reopened in December 2000. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Christine and George McCaffrey received the residential distinguished preservation award for work on the George Anderson House at 76 Alida St. They restored original details to the house while adding a compatible second story. They worked with designer/builder Keith MacLaren.

Ashland's Parks Department was honored in the civic preservation category for saving a historic farmhouse at North Mountain Park. It has been remodeled to house the Nature Center. The house had been scheduled for demolition.

Fred and Kristen Cox were honored for their Railroad Park Cottage Homes development on the Ninth Street Alley. The new residences were designed to be compatible with the adjacent historic neighborhood

Golden-Fields Construction, architect Jerome White and designer Doyle Brightenburg were honored for historically compatible new commercial buildings at 108 Hersey St. and 498 Oak St.

Individual recognition was give to historian Marjoire O'Harra, wood craftsman Jay Treiger and Old Ashland Walking Tours guide Joe Peterson.