fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

A look at the historical societies

Jackson County has 14 small historical societies, located in most communities.

  • Applegate Valley Historical Society and Museum, 15050 Highway 238. The museum is in the oldest commercial log structure in Jackson County, built without nails and made from hand-hewn logs.
  • Big Butte Historical Society and the W.W. Smith/Bill Edmondson Museum, 432 Pine St., Butte Falls. The society began in the early 1990s in a small museum created in an 1890s Medco train caboose. In the mid-90s the society acquired the historic home of Dr. E.W. Smith, which created a permanent museum.
  • Buncom Historical Society, 3232 Little Applegate Road. Buncom is considered the last standing ghost town in Southern Oregon. It was a key location in the heyday of the Southern Oregon gold rush.
  • Camp White Historical Association and Museum at the Veteran's Administration "Dom," Building 200. The military museum is the only one of its kind in Southern Oregon and is dedicated to preserving the history of the base that covered 77 square miles of the Agate Desert.
  • Eagle Point Historical Society and Museum, 202 N. Royal Ave. The museum is in the former Long Mountain school house built in 1925. Besides an extensive collection of artifacts and exhibits about the history of the Eagle Point area, the society also owns and operates the Wood House Homestead on Highway 62.
  • Gold Hill Historical Society and Museum, 504 First Ave. The museum is in the 1901 Beeman-Martin house. Beeman built the house with money from the "Lucky Bart" gold mine on Sardine Creek. A stamp mill built in 1892 on the gold mine has been rebuilt and is the focal point of an outdoor mining exhibit. The Galls-Hays Cemetery on Hudson Road also belongs to the society.
  • Lake Creek Historical Society and Museum, 1739 S. Fork Little Butte Creek Road, Eagle Point. The society has restored Charlie Cabin and the Lost Creek Covered Bridge, the oldest covered bridge in Southern Oregon.
  • McKee Bridge Historical Society, nine miles from Ruch on the Upper Applegate Road. The bridge was build in 1917, then was closed to vehicles in 1956, but left open for pedestrians. Local residents have raised money to pay for repairs and restorations.
  • Phoenix Historical Society and Museum, 607 N. Church St. The society was formed in 1998 and the museum is located in the old city hall-library building. The building was moved in 2002 in front of the historic Phoenix Cemetery.
  • Talent Historical Society and Museum, 206 E. Main St., Suite C. Located in a small office in Talent City Hall, it is the smallest museum in the county. The society hopes to move its collection into the old Talent Library building.
  • Rogue Valley Genealogical Society and Library, 95 Houston Road, Phoenix. The society, founded in 1966, has an extensive collection of genealogical materials from the U.S. and foreign countries. It has more than 33,000 burial records for Jackson County.
  • Southern Oregon Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society and Museum, 2222 Table Rock Road. Based at the Medford Railroad park, the society has an extensive collection of railway vehicles, restored and unrestored, including a locomotive built in Oregon.
  • Upper Rogue Historical Society, 144 Old Highway 62, Trail. Located in the old Trail Creek Tavern, the society's museum has photos and artifacts on display. Built in 1934, the tavern gained notoriety as the scene of drunken weekend brawls between bikers and loggers, who shot, stabbed and sometimes killed each other.
  • Woodville Historical Society and Museum, First and Oak Streets, Rogue River. The museum is in the turn-of-the-last century Hutch House and displays artifacts used by pioneers in Jackson County. The household furnishings and tools span a 150-year period.