100 years, 100 births this year
As a part of a year-long celebration of Ashland Community Hospital's 100th Anniversary, the hospital arranged for a surprise to honor the 100th baby born in 2007.
Gavin Wilkinson was born at 9:23 p.m. on Wednesday. His parents received a basket full of gifts to honor the event.
In addition to honoring the 100th baby, the board and staff of the hospital have planned a series of events including a T-Shirt design contest, a birthday party honoring babies born at Ashland Community Hospital, an entry in the Fourth of July parade, and the production of a documentary. The culminating event will be on Nov. 17 at the Annual Ashland Community Hospital Foundation Gala.
Ashland Community Hospital was founded as the first hospital in Southern Oregon, on October 17, 1907, by Dr. Francis G. Swedenberg, in the Fordyce Roper residence, currently housing Winchester Inn. According to the Hospital's history book, A Century of Caring, written by Kay Atwood, Ashland residents, businessmen and local physicians conducted a fund raising campaign to furnish the new hospital with, "the most modern equipment."
During its first year of operation, the Hospital provided care for 300 residents and tourists. On March 11, 1909, the roof of that structure caught fire and residents rushed in to move the patients to safety and a temporary hospital was set up in a residence on East Main Street, currently known as the Anne Hathaway Cottage. In April of 1909, Dr. Swendenberg and H.G.Enders convinced the Commercial Club to build a new hospital on a site, " beyond the rapidly developing commercial district."
On April 30, 1910 a new, two-story structure was opened as the Granite City Hospital, on the Boulevard, where the Stevenson Union now stands. In 1961, the Hospital moved to its current location on Maple Street.
The board and staff at Ashland Community Hospital invite people to stop by the lobby in the new Diagnostic and Surgery Center, located at the corner of Maple and Chestnut, to view our History Wall Display.