fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Recollections conflict on man shot Monday

Family and friends have described Mark Corsbie as a "family man," but court documents suggest the 49-year-old Medford man who was shot and killed in White City Monday suffered from a mental illness that would send him into rages.

A restraining order obtained by his ex-wife on April 18 describes a series of violent episodes earlier this year. "He tried to kick the door and said he was going to kill me because he believed it was my fault he got arrested," wrote the ex-wife, who asked not to be named because she said she was the victim of domestic abuse. Corsbie had been arrested for a parole violation.

Sheriff's deputies say residents in White City on Monday reported they saw Corsbie acting erratically, banging on doors, crying out for help and saying his life was being threatened.

As he was banging on the door of 7898 Andrea Drive, a woman opened it and Corsbie tried to force his way inside, sheriff's deputies said.

A 66-year-old man inside shot Corsbie once with a .357-caliber handgun, the bullet boring through his hand before entering his upper chest and throat area, according to an autopsy and the investigation. Corsbie stumbled backward, ending up on his back on the front lawn, sheriff's officials say.

While investigators try to determine if drugs or mental illness played a role in Corsbie's erratic behavior, his ex-wife's restraining order reveals similar outbursts.

"He has schizophrenia and flies into rages," the ex-wife described in the restraining order. A daughter said Tuesday that he had been diagnosed as a paranoid-schizophrenic while serving a sentence in prison on a robbery charge.

In her request for the restraining order, Corsbie's former wife wrote that on four different occasions earlier this year, Corsbie shoved, kicked and threatened to kill her.

After pushing her against a bookcase on Jan. 3, the ex-wife said, Corsbie threatened to beat her if she didn't provide him with pills.

She said Corsbie's rages were induced by mental illness and trauma he suffered while in prison.

Many friends of Corsbie never saw that side of him, saying he was a devoted father of four children who was trying to put his life back together and seeking treatment.

His children have described him as a being a very close, loving father.

A friend of Corsbie, Tanya Forbes, a 43-year-old Medford woman, said that based on what she knows, she fears that Corsbie may have fallen back into his addiction problems.

She saw him about three weeks ago, when he came to her workplace to apply for a job.

"He said he was done with his lifestyle," she said.

Based on her conversations with Corsbie's children, she said, he apparently got a ride to White City with some "sketchy" people. When he called his son before the shooting, Forbes said, Corsbie expressed fear for his life and had gotten out of the car and started running.

Forbes said she never had seen Corsbie get angry or behave erratically.

Ken Khosroavadi, the owner of the Texaco stations in Ashland, said he gave Corsbie a job after he got out of prison about two years ago, saying he was a good worker.

"While he was working for me, I never saw anything that would make me nervous," he said.

More than a year ago, Khosroavadi said, Corsbie told him that he had a new wife and didn't have to work anymore.

"I was hoping he wouldn't quit," Khosroavadi said.

Joe Lumby, general manager of the Texaco stations in Ashland, said Corsbie was a pit mechanic at the Lithia Way station, performing oil changes on vehicles.

"He was fresh out of prison," he said. "I put him to work here."

After Corsbie got married and had some surgery from a bike accident, he stopped working, Lumby said.

"I never saw him raise his voice at anybody," he said. "He was an easygoing guy — a family man."

Lumby said Corsbie visited his house in Ashland for barbecues. Lumby said he didn't recall Corsbie having any problems with drugs or alcohol, though noting that Corsbie was in treatment with OnTrack Inc. Officials at OnTrack would not confirm whether Corsbie was enrolled in the treatment program.

More than eight months have passed since Lumby last saw Corsbie.

Lumby said that despite his positive feelings about Corsbie, he thinks the resident at Andrea Drive probably acted appropriately in defending his family. He said he's been in similar predicaments at his own house, though the outcome didn't result in a death.

"A guy's got to do what he's got do if he feels threatened," he said. "I think it's a fight-or-flight situation."

Reach reporter Damian Mann at 541-776-4476 or email dmann@mailtribune.com.