January 20, 1914
January 20, 1914
The city of Medford purchased 570 gallons of gasoline in the period between July 11 and December 31, 1913, according to the report of Fire Chief Eugene Amann to be read by the city council tonight. Of the total amount, 335 gallons were used by the autos of the water department and 50 gallons by the fire department. The engineer's department required 140 gallons of gasoline, the police department 80 gallons and the plumbing inspector 20 gallons.
The loss by fire during 1913 above insurance was $5593. The fire losses during the year was $46,395 covered by insurance to the amount of $10,082. Fifty-five alarms were answered, fifteen more than in 1912. In going to and from fires 50 miles were covered and 14,500 feet of hose laid, and 560 gallons of chemicals used. The department has 4100 feet of hose, 3500 feet of which is listed as being in good shape.
Defective flues caused 15 alarms and grass in vacant lots caused 12. A dozen residences were endangered by flames. The others listed as follows: Garage, livery, barn, woodsheds, false alarms, cleaning works, woodpile stores, club rooms outside city.
R.G. Patch, the operator at the Isis Theatre of this city, believes he has solved the problem of taking the flicker out of motion pictures by a recently patented machine he has invented, but not as yet perfected. However, it is very likely to be fully developed in the Edison laboratories. The machine is to be known as the Multiple Compound, and each individual little picture will be compounded. The intermittent movement will be four times faster than those in use, but yet the machine will not use up or "feed" the film any faster than those now used, and the lenses are to be the same, and no more in number than at present.
The shutter will be known as the outside multiple disk type with intermittent movement and when the machine is highly perfected by expert mechanics the public can enjoy the long-sought flickerless "movie," no doubt.