10 things to know for Friday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
To read more about today's national and international news, click
1. AP EXCLUSIVE: NAVY YARD GUNMAN LIED CONVINCINGLY TO DOCTORS
Veterans Affairs evaluators concluded Aaron Alexis had no mental health issues, documents obtained by AP show.
2. VICTIMS OF BOSTON MARATHON BOMBING HAVE RANGE OF REACTIONS TO RULING
"It shows that if you are going to terrorize our country, you are going to pay with your life," one says of government's decision to seek death penalty.
3. HOW EXTRADITION COULD PLAY OUT IN AMANDA KNOX CASE
U.S. State Department would evaluate a request from Italy, and both law and politics would factor into decision.
4. AP EXCLUSIVE: INSIDE PAKISTAN ARMY'S BOMB SCHOOL
Rebecca Santana is first reporter inside facility where instructors teach Pakistani forces the clever places militants hide homemade bombs.
5. SECURITY EXPERTS WORRY ABOUT SOFT TARGETS IN SOCHI
Olympic venues are tightly guarded, but Islamic militants could target vulnerable areas in or outside the sprawling resort.
6. AP FACT CHECK: HOW BAD THE NSA SECURITY LEAKS WERE
Top U.S. intelligence chief says they were the worst, but some historians cite more devastating intelligence breakdowns the past century.
7. WHERE CARS LACK AIR BAGS AND CRUMPLE EASILY
Some of India's most popular small cars fail crash tests because of a lack of safety requirements and little regulation.
8. PARENTS OUTRAGED WHEN SCHOOL LUNCHES TAKEN AWAY
The Salt Lake City School District apologizes and says it's investigating why elementary students owing money on their accounts had their meals tossed.
9. WHAT COUNTRY VENEZUELA'S YOUNG PEOPLE ARE FLEEING TO
Its economy recovering from Europe's financial crisis, Ireland has emerged as the top choice of students seeking opportunities abroad.
10. WHY BILL DE BLASIO WON'T BE AT THE SUPER BOWL SUNDAY
Even though it's being played in his own backyard, the new NYC mayor says he'll watch at home rather than foot the bill for the high-priced game.