fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Burning papers scorch apartment complex

Fire officials said a resident at an apartment complex accidentally started a fire early today in Medford while burning papers in a barbecue grill outside.

Medford Fire-Rescue responded to the fire at 2:33 a.m., reported in the 2000 block of Keeneway Drive. Battalion chief Ken Goodson said the fire started in a four-plex. One of the residents, 34-year-old Nicole McDonald, was reportedly outside burning the papers when they accidentally caught the house on fire.

The flames traveled into a vent and under the structure's floor, which caused smoke to spill into three of the units. Four engines responded to the scene. Crews evacuated the complex and cut holes in the floor to access and extinguish the fire. The flames were under control in about 10 minutes, Goodson said.

There were no injuries. Goodson estimated about $10,000 in damage. McDonald was cited and released for reckless burning, Medford police reported.