Five best bets of the day
Looking for something to do today? Here are our picks for Wednesday, May 21:
- Learn about common backyard birds 6:30 to 8 p.m. at the Northwest Nature Shop, 154 Oak St., Ashland. Shannon Rio will use pictures, stories and fun facts about Rogue Valley birds. The event costs $10. All ages are welcome, and no birding experience is necessary.
- Get up to speed on drought education 5:30 to 8 p.m. at the free drought awareness open house, held at the Medford library, 205 S. Central Ave., Medford.
- There will be a memorial bike ride to honor bicyclists killed in traffic accidents 7 to 8 p.m., starting in Hawthorne Park. The 12-mile ride will go out to Central Point and come back to the park on the Bear Creek Greenway. The event is free.
- The Grants Pass Summer Slam Rough Stock Rodeo will be held 7 to 9 p.m. at the Josephine County Fairgrounds. The gates will open at 4:30 p.m. Tickets are $12 in advance or $15 at the door. Veterans get in for $10 and children six and under get in for free.
- The Southern Oregon University Jazz Collective will perform numerous popular songs 9 to 11 p.m. at the Black Sheep, 51 N. Main St., in Ashland.