fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Flue fire damages J'ville's Good Bean

JACKSONVILLE -- A flue fire in a coffee roaster caused minor damage Monday to the historic Table Rock Billiard Saloon.

Basically, it was an industrial-type flue fire that burned inside the roaster, but that's all it did, said Jacksonville Fire Chief Tracy Shaw.

He said the fire broke out about 4:30 p.m. at The Good Bean at 155 S. Oregon St., where two employees were roasting coffee beans. They and three customers left; none was hurt.

Shaw said there was no estimate of damage, but the business is free to open as usual.

About 20 firefighters from Jacksonville, Medford and Jackson County Fire District — responded to make sure the blaze didn't spread through the building, which is in a downtown designated as a national historic landmark. They inspected the roof and ventilated the building.

Everybody's concern was the age of the building, said Fire District — Battalion Chief Lou Gugliotta.