fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Insulin shock may have killed man

An autopsy is scheduled for today in Glen Dyer's death after a snow outing on Dead Indian Plateau

After spending much of an April Monday goofing around in the snow at Dead Indian Plateau with two friends, Glen Dyer undoubtedly was tired and cold when his compact car was stuck in thick snow off a Forest Service road, family members said.

But insulin shock, which occasionally thrashed the 31-year-old diabetic's body and mind, may have struck Dyer so severely that the seasoned woodsman may have lost his senses and eventually his life, his family said.

Dyer's body was found Saturday off a Dead Indian Plateau trail, seven weeks after he disappeared during the April 8 outing, and family members believe it was insulin shock and fatigue that likely led to his death.

Dyer apparently wandered away from his stuck Ford Escort almost a mile down a small trail before getting his foot caught in a tree and falling, said Ethel Sue Dyer, his grandmother.

Only insulin shock would cause him to leave the safety of his car and head down the small path, said his father, Kim Dyer of White City.

When his blood sugar was high, I've seen him a couple times just wandering around babbling and not making sense, Kim Dyer said. I bet my life that's what happened to him.

Jackson County sheriff's deputies are still investigating Dyer's death, and an autopsy scheduled for today will pinpoint a cause.

At this point, we have no belief that any foul play was involved, sheriff's Capt. Ed Mayer said. However, we never rule anything out until the autopsy is complete.

Still, Kim Dyer remains puzzled as to why his son was in the snowy area in a compact car that day.

He knows the snow, Kim Dyer said.

He's hunted in the snow. He's logged with me when he was young. I just don't know why he was up there. It's just not adding up.

Only Glen and God know why he was there, Kim Dyer said.

Dyer originally was reported missing April 22, after friends and relatives had not heard from him for two weeks.

Hikers on Saturday spotted Dyer's body on a trail at the Daley Creek campground, near an area known as Deadwood Junction that is popular among people who like to drive their cars in the snow.

The area also is off Forest Service Road No. 37, a popular route between Highway 140 and Dead Indian Memorial Road.

Dyer apparently headed into the snow that day with two companions, a male and a female, Ethel Sue Dyer said.

They got stuck in snow at least once earlier that day, and both companions eventually left Dyer and hiked out on their own, she said.

After being left alone, Dyer apparently walked nearly a mile down the pathway.

Deputies told Ethel Sue Dyer that her grandson got his foot wedged in the crook of a tree and fell face-down in the snow, she said.

Dyer's family made a pilgrimage to the area Sunday and searched for the exact location of Dyer's death.

Ethel Sue Dyer said there are several loose ends that need to be connected before she is satisfied that his death was accidental.

She also said she intends to be present at the autopsy and view the body.

Although it'll be hard on me, I'll do it, she said.

I want to see what kind of condition his body was in.

Reach reporter Mark Freeman at 776-4470, or e-mail