fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Missing man hiked out to Ashland

A Medford man last seen snowboarding on Mount Ashland Thursday turned up on Granite Street, just outside the Ashland city limits Saturday morning.

Cold, tired and hungry, Stephen Albert McCallister, 37, of the 300 block of Howard Avenue, Medford, was taken to Providence Medford Medical Center to be checked. Then he was arrested on a warrant charging him with possession of methamphetamine, sheriff's Capt. Joe Puckett said. He was lodged in Jackson County Jail in lieu of &

36;10,000 bail.

What's more, while McCallister was missing, his home apparently was burglarized, Puckett said.

McCallister lost contact with a friend while snowboarding on Mount Ashland below the lodge Thursday. Ski patrol members started a search, but called it off when the car McCallister had borrowed to reach the ski hill left the parking lot Thursday.

The sheriff's department resumed the search Friday when McCallister's friends reported that he hadn't come home. Search and rescue crews combed the slopes and spent the night on the hill waiting for McCallister.

— The sheriff's department also started investigating the disappearance of the borrowed car. Investigators determined that an acquaintance had heard that McCallister was missing, then had gone to the ski hill and taken the borrowed car without permission, Puckett said.

The same acquaintance might have been involved in the burglary of McCallister's home, Puckett said. Someone broke into the house and took a variety of expensive household items. Investigators are looking into the incident and plan to work with McCallister later to determine what is missing.

Since Thursday, McCallister hiked through the snowy forest above Ashland, finally emerging on Granite Street near the city's water treatment plant.

He found someone with a phone and called friends about 10:45 a.m. Those friends then called the Jackson County Sheriff's Department to end the search, Puckett said.

Ashland Fire and Rescue, Ashland police and sheriff's deputies went to get him. An ambulance took him to Providence, where he was treated and released, Puckett said. He was then taken to jail, where he remained Saturday night.

Reach reporter Anita Burke at 776-4459, or e-mail