fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Oregon State rallies to clip Washington State

PULLMAN, Wash. — Washington State was cruising to victory over Oregon State early in the second half, but Calvin Haynes wasn't having it.

The sophomore guard scored 12 of his 17 points during a decisive 18-1 run that lifted Oregon State to a 54-52 victory on Saturday.

Oregon State (11-13, 5-8 Pac-10) was trailing 42-31 with just under 15 minutes left in the game. Nine minutes later, the Beavers led 49-43, after a barrage that included two 3-pointers and three other baskets by Haynes. Washington State missed 11 field goal attempts in that run.

"We got a lot of easy shots," Haynes said, against the stingiest defense in the nation. "We rebounded and played great D."

Washington State's Klay Thompson hit a short basket and then a 3-pointer to cut OSU's lead to 52-50 with 1:25 left.

Oregon State ran the clock down and Seth Tarver's long jumper missed. Washington State rebounded with 20 seconds left, but Taylor Rochestie's short runner missed.

Roeland Schaftenaar rebounded and was fouled. He made both free throws for a 54-50 Oregon State lead with 9.2 seconds left. Rochestie drove the length of the floor and made a lauyp to bring WSU within 54-52 with 3.8 seconds left.

Haynes was fouled on the inbounds. His foul shot missed and WSU rebounded, but time expired before the Cougars could shoot.

"We should have won the game," a dejected Rochestie said.

Washington State (13-12, 5-8) saw it's post-season hopes take a major hit. The Cougars have five games left, four against teams that have already beaten them.

Rochestie said they likely have to win the Pac-10 tournament to make the NCAAs.

Washington State beat Oregon State in overtime earlier this season, and coasted to a 32-20 halftime lead in this one while holding the Beavers to 38 percent shooting.

But the Beavers shot 50 percent in the second half, while holding the Cougars to 33 percent, and outscored them 34-20 for the win.

Oregon State coach Craig Robinson was pleased his team recovered from the terrible first half to break a three-game losing streak.

"I got on them, but they were more disappointed in themselves," he said of halftime.

The Beavers got 13 points from Tarver, who made 5-of-7 shots, and they committed only four turnovers in the game.

Thompson, a freshman, scored 20 points for his second consecutive 20-point game. He hit 4-of-9 3-pointers. But no other Cougar scored more than six points.

Rochestie, the senior point guard, made just 2-of-11 shots to finish with five points and four turnovers.

"I played a horrible game," he said.

In the first, Washington State led 17-14 with 9 minutes left, and then held the Beavers to just one point for more than six minutes while building a 28-15 lead. The Cougars led 32-20 at halftime.

Washington State fell to 2-5 at home in Pac-10 games this season, while they are 3-3 on the road.

"I'm going to remember this one for a while," Rochestie said.