Seven UO players commit to Medford WCL team
The Medford West Coast League franchise will include at least seven players from the University of Oregon.
The team, which continues to fill out its roster for the 2013 season, announced the commitments Tuesday.
NCAA rules allow summer wood-bat teams to sign four current players and four incoming freshmen from a given university, according to a team release. One more current Duck player is expected to join the team.
Medford head coach Josh Hogan served as a graduate assistant and first-base coach under Oregon coach George Horton last year. He's now an assistant coach at Lane Community College in Eugene.
The new roster additions are:
- Reza Aleaziz, right-handed pitcher, incoming freshman, Beaverton. He went 5-4 with a 2.96 ERA for Southridge High in 2012 and quarterbacked the football team until giving it up this year to focus on baseball.
- A.J. Balta, outfielder, incoming freshman, Valencia, Calif. He was recruited by UCLA, Stanford, Arizona, Oregon State and USC but chose the Ducks after earning All-American honors from Maxpreps.com. Was named all-CIF Division I first team and the Santa Clarita Valley player of the year.
- Connor Hofmann, outfielder, junior, San Diego. He hit .239 with three homers and 14 RBIs in 58 games (starting 46) for the Ducks last spring. He also starred for the Corvallis Knights of the WCL in 2011 and '12, hitting .315 with 19 stolen bases last summer. He was named MVP of the WCL All-Star Game after going 3-for-4.
- Jeff Gold, right-handed pitcher, redshirt junior, Moraga, Calif. He went 8-4 with a 3.66 ERA in 19 games for Oregon last spring. In 2011, Gold pitched for the WCL's Cowlitz Black Bears and was a league all-star.
- Dane McFarland, right-handed pitcher, incoming freshman, Laguna Niguel, Calif. He was chosen to play in the Perfect Game National Showcase in Minneapolis following his junior year and is ranked by Perfect Game as the No. 31 high school prospect for the major league draft.
- Kevin Minjares, shortstop, junior, Port Hueneme, Calif. A transfer from Oxnard CC, he's the projected started for the Ducks next spring. He hit .288 and had a .403 on-base percentage at Oxnard in 2012, driving in 20 runs in 36 games.
- Brett Seeburger, left-handed pitcher, incoming freshman, San Diego, Calif. As a junior at San Diego's Vista High, Seeburger was selected as the top junior baseball player in California by Cal-Hi sports. He compiled a 10-1 record with an 0.71 ERA, striking out 97 batters in 79 innings. He also batted .355 with 16 RBIs and was the first junior to win the top player award since 2004.
The team plans to announce the 2013 schedule in late October as well as the winners of the Name-the-Team contest, presented by the Mail Tribune. To vote for a team name, go to www.mailtribune.com/nametheteam.