fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Man goes into hospital after trying to put out shed fire

A man was hospitalized with smoke inhalation Tuesday night after attempting to put out a storage shed fire with a garden hose, officials said.

The man's name was not made available.

Fire officials at the scene said his injuries were not life-threatening.

Medford Fire Department crews received the call just after 9:30 p.m. that heavy smoke was seen in the area of Fern Valley Road just off Highway 99.

Nearby Jackson County Fire District 5 crews arrived first on the scene and quickly doused the flames coming from a storage shed behind a trailer, Medford Fire Department Deputy Chief Dan Petersen said.

"It put a lot of smoke in the air," Petersen said. "The neighbors probably thought the entire house was going up."

The shed was attached to a garage, which housed two antique cars from the early 1900s. The cars were not damaged by the flames just feet away, Petersen said.

The resident suffered smoke inhalation, Petersen said, and was taken to the hospital for treatment.

"If you don't quickly put a fire out, you should leave the area," Petersen said. "The smoke can get to you really fast. One lungful can take you down."

Petersen praised the work of the District 5 crew.

The fire could have been problematic in that area because of several mobile homes in the area placed close together.

In all, five fire engines were dispatched to the scene.

Phoenix police closed access to Fern Valley Road at Highway 99.

The road remained shut at 10:30 p.m. while a fire investigator arrived on the scene.

"At this point there's nothing suspicious about it," Petersen said.

Reach reporter Chris Conrad at 776-4471; or e-mail cconrad@mailtribune.com.