fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Suspect in forced rape case remains at large

MEDFORD — Police are searching for a man accused of forcing an 18-year-old woman to perform sex acts for which he collected money and drugs earlier this month, police said.

A Jackson County grand jury Thursday indicted Shaun Patrick Temple on charges of first-degree rape, first-degree sodomy, delivery of methamphetamine, three counts of promoting prostitution and three counts of compelling prostitution.

Police allege Temple met the woman sometime in late July at a downtown business. The woman was new in town and had a falling out with friends when she encountered Temple, Medford police Detective Sgt. Mike Budreau said.

"He was able to convince her to go along with him," Budreau said. "He is very large at 6 feet, 7 inches tall, and purports himself to be a dangerous person."

Temple, 24, took the woman to various motels and apartments around Medford and forced her to have sex with people who gave him money and methamphetamine in exchange, Budreau said.

"This occurred over a three-day period," Budreau said. "It was very traumatic for this victim. She felt that he would physically harm her if she tried to get away."

She was able to contact her friends after the third day. They called police, who were unable to locate Temple.

Detectives managed to find the people who had sex with the victim. They testified during Thursday's grand jury hearing.

"They knew what the score was when this was going on," Budreau said. "They will face criminal charges connected to this."

Police recently have been in phone contact with Temple, but he has refused to turn himself in. They believe he has fled the area.

Police have provided a photograph of Temple that is representative of how he looks now, Budreau said.

"He tends not to change his appearance much," Budreau said. "He also is very tall and stands out."

Temple made news last year when he and his brother Kevin Kaleb Temple, 26, attacked two African American teens who were walking on Riverside Avenue.

Witnesses told police the Temple brothers yelled racial slurs at the young men while confronting them along the street.

Shaun Temple, who has had eight prior arrests according to court records, was charged with two counts of intimidation, one count of fourth-degree assault and one count of menacing. The assault and intimidation charges were dropped after he pleaded guilty to a menacing charge.

He was sentenced to 20 days in jail and 11 months of supervised probation by Judge Ray White.

The victim in this latest case has received housing and counseling, Budreau said.

"Her needs are being met," he said. "It seems one of the most unfortunate moments of her life was running across (Temple)."

Reach reporter Chris Conrad at 776-4471; or e-mail cconrad@mailtribune.com.

Suspect in forced rape case remains at large