fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Father of four pleads guilty to child neglect

The father of four young children found locked in a filthy bedroom in November pleaded guilty Tuesday to child neglect.

Jackson County Circuit Court Judge Timothy Gerking accepted Jeramy Allen Hon's pleas to three second-degree child neglect charges. Gerking sentenced the 29-year-old father to five days in jail, with credit for time served, and 18 months probation. Three counts of first-degree criminal mistreatment were dismissed per the plea agreement reached by Hon's attorney, Christine Herbert, and Mandy Gould, a Jackson County prosecutor.

Hon and his wife, Kassandra Lynn Regain, 23, were charged with a dozen counts of mistreatment and neglect related to their four young children, who range in age from 7 months to 4 years old and were found living in filth inside their home.

Bail for Regain and Hon initially was set at $1 million on Nov. 11 by Judge Tim Barnack. It was later reduced to $10,000 by Gerking by mutual agreement of the defense and prosecution.

Regain's charges, three counts of criminal mistreatment and three counts of child neglect, still are pending. She remains out on bail. Regain has a pre-trial hearing set for Dec. 27 before Judge Benjamin Bloom. She has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Medford police went to a house in the 2800 block of Anita Circle after receiving an anonymous report that four children were believed to have been severely neglected. Officers said the children had been locked in a room for hours at a time. The children had urinated and defecated in a heater vent because they did not have access to a restroom, said Medford police Detective Diane Sandler.

When police intervened, the infant had significant diaper rash and the other children showed signs of neglect, she said.

Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said the children were locked in a room where the window also was locked. Hansen declined to speculate on the couple's reasoning for locking the children in the room and not providing them access to a bathroom.

The children were taken into custody by Department of Human Services workers and are now in a safe environment, he said.