fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Children playing with fire caused Rogue River house fire, officials say

A fire started accidentally by children Saturday evening burned a Rogue River house to the ground, heavily burned a neighboring home and slightly damaged a rental storage facility, Evans Valley Fire Chief Bill Fuller said.

Fuller said the fire at 8576 E. Evans Creek Road was started around 5:05 p.m. Saturday by juveniles playing with fire.

“We’re not sure what they were actually doing yet,” Fuller said. “But we’ll have some intervention for them.”

Fuller does not have a cost estimate for damages yet, but said the main home is a total loss and the second home, which is about 10 feet away from the main home, will not be livable anytime soon.

Three generations from the same family, including a great-grandpa, lived in the two houses. There were no injuries among the four adults and three children, Fuller said. He said the children who lived at the property weren't those responsible for the fire.

Three dogs are still missing.

Fuller said the residents spent 10-15 minutes attempting to put the fire out before calling 911 and, if they had called immediately, the damage would not have been as severe.

“Don’t be embarrassed,” Fuller said. “Just call us.”