fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Woman and grandson lose home in fire

A woman and her grandson lost their home in a house fire two days before Christmas.

The fire was reported at around 4:45 p.m. Tuesday in a mobile home park on Corral Lane, according to dispatch logs. The park is located between Talent and Ashland.

Capt. Vince Lockett of Jackson County Fire District No. 5 said the home's owner was underneath the bathroom sink filling a void with some spray foam when a flash from an unknown source ignited and pushed flames up the wall.

The thin paneling allowed the fire to spread quickly, Lockett said, but the woman and her young grandson were able to escape unharmed. Fire District 5 and Ashland Fire & Rescue responded with three fire engines. They had the fire knocked down in about 10 minutes, Lockett said. However, the flames made quick work of the interior.

The Firehouse Five Foundation is collecting funds to help the woman replace lost Christmas presents and belongings. They have helped pay for her stay at a local motel.

For more information on donating, call 541-227-4529.