fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Man critically burned in trailer fire

CENTRAL POINT — A man was seriously injured with burns to his face after a space heater started a fire that gutted a travel trailer early Monday.

Dispatch logs show 911 calls for the fire went out at about 8:30 a.m., with separate reports of structure and car fires around the same location.

"It was a little unusual. We got dispatched to two different incidents," Jackson County Fire District No. 3 Capt. Bryan Cohee said. "We originally got dispatched to a car fire ... and then a separate address. But we knew from the call that it was going to be the same incident."

Crews arrived on scene to find a trailer parked in a gravel lot between 453 and 467 Hopkins Road fully engulfed. A 41-year-old man was on the front lawn of 467 Hopkins Road with burns to his face. He was transported to Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center with what fire officials called "critical" injuries.

Mark Northrop, Fire District 3 deputy fire marshal, said the man had been cleaning the trailer when the heater, which was inside, set a recliner on fire and quickly spread to the rest of the unit.

Julien Herbelin, who lives two doors down, said he came outside to see what was going on when he heard the sirens from arriving fire engines.

 "The whole inside was lit up with flames, with smoke coming out the top," Herbelin said. "(The smoke) was up 50 to 60 feet."

Two engines and a ladder truck from District 3 and two engines from Medford Fire-Rescue responded, along with several officers from Central Point police. Crews had the flames knocked down less than five minutes after arriving.

Reach reporter Ryan Pfeil at 541-776-4468 or rpfeil@mailtribune.com. Follow him at www.twitter.com/ryanpfeil.

Jackson County Fire District No. 3 firefighters empty a fire-gutted trailer in Central Point where a man was seriously injured. Mail Tribune / Bob Pennell