fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Family flees after bathroom fire starts early Sunday

A family managed to escape from a bathroom fire at an east Medford home at 1:15 a.m. Sunday despite a faulty smoke detector.

“They’re pretty darn lucky,” said Medford fire Battalion Chief Ken Goodson.

The fire started when towels in front of a bathroom heater ignited at 1804 Brookhurst St. No one was hurt, and firefighters found the smoke detector wasn’t working, Goodson said.

The family stayed somewhere else for the night because of the smoke damage, but Goodson said the house could be occupied on Sunday.

“If it was my house, I would have every stitch of the wall washed,” Goodson said.

Goodson said the linens, curtains, carpets and everything else in the house would have to be cleaned to get rid of the smoke smell, which he likened to having 100 people smoking cigarettes in a house.

The family thought the bathroom heater had been turned off, Goodson said.

He estimated the damage to the house at $2,000 to $3,000.

This was the second small fire that broke out in east Medford within a two-hour period. The other blaze, at 1804 Poplar Dr., started at 11 p.m.

A discarded cigarette fell into a crack, smoldered and started a small fire in the exterior stairwell of the apartment building, Goodson said. Firefighters had to cut open the wall to make sure the flames hadn’t spread.

Goodson said the fire caused an estimated $1,000 in damages. No one was hurt or displaced.

Goodson said both fires were quickly knocked out.

“Neither of them was very big,” he said.

Reach reporter Damian Mann at 541-776-4476 or email dmann@mailtribune.com. Follow on Twitter at @reporterdm.