fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

September shooting suspect arrested in Southern California

A 17-year-old boy suspected of firing three shots into an occupied stairwell at a Medford apartment building in September has been arrested in Southern California.

Tyler Sandoval was arrested Monday in the city of Bellflower by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, Medford police reported. Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said members of a sheriff's department task force had been conducting surveillance on an apartment complex where Sandoval was believed to have been staying and arrested him when he exited the building. He will be extradited to Oregon to face charges of attempted murder, unlawful use of a weapon, riot and conspiracy charges. 

He is the fifth person arrested in connection with the Sept. 16 incident, which occurred in the 1000 block of Narregan Street in west Medford.

"It's really nice to have all the suspects in custody, in particular the shooter," Budreau said. 

The other three people arrested are Santiago Flores-Loveland, 18, Latraveon Deshawn Wesley, 18, China Amir Acuna, 17, and Alonzo Lee McBrown, 31. 

Sandoval is accused of firing three shots during an argument between his group and another group of males that was on the verge of turning physical, according to police. During the argument, one of the men in Sandoval's group is suspected of swinging a bucket at a woman, which caused her to scream and drew several people to the scene. That's when Sandoval fired the shots, police said. 

No one was struck by the bullets, and the entourage took off in a white Honda Accord. 

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department arrested Flores-Loveland Oct. 9 in Bellflower, and he remains in the Los Angeles County Jail, serving a 16-month sentence for possession of a loaded handgun, according to the Jackson County District Attorney's Office.

"(He) has an active warrant that is extraditable out of California for his involvement in the Narregan shooting," a news release from the DA's office said.

McBrown and Wesley are set to go to trial Jan. 26, 2016, on riot and conspiracy charges. McBrown remains in jail on $10,000 bail, but Wesley has been released. 

Reach reporter Ryan Pfeil at 541-776-4468 or rpfeil@mailtribune.com. Follow him at www.twitter.com/ryanpfeil.