fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Standoff ends with two arrests in west Medford

A more-than-three-hour police standoff that closed a west Medford street ended this evening when police raided a residence and arrested two suspects for a stabbing attack that occurred this afternoon in Medford, police said.

Armed with a search warrant, Medford police knocked down a door of a duplex in the 900 block of Murray Street and arrested a 43-year-old woman and a 48-year-old man who were subdued with stun guns when they resisted arrest, according to the Medford Police Department.

No one was injured in the 4:45 p.m. raid, no nearby residences were evacuated and Washington School a block away was put on notice but not locked down because the suspects were believed to be armed with a knife, Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said.

The suspects were treated at the scene then taken to the Medford Police Department for questioning, Budreau said. Their names were not immediately available.

At 1:23 p.m. a man approached a police squad car on North Ross Lane saying he had just been stabbed during a confrontation with two people he knew outside the nearby Albertsons store, police said.

The victim, who was stabbed in the leg, sought attention at a nearby medical facility and was released, Budreau said.

Police quickly identified the suspects and within seven minutes were outside their residence, where a vehicle believed to be part of the stabbing also was found, Budreau said.

The suspects would not come out on their own, so Medford's SWAT team was called in and police cordoned off the area until they could get a warrant to enter the half of the duplex where the suspects were, Budreau said. No one was home at the other residence in the duplex throughout the ordeal, he said.

Police were still investigating the case and the motive, but Budreau said it was not believed to be gang-related.

Reach reporter Mark Freeman at 541-776-4470 or mfreeman@mailtribune.com. Follow him at www.twitter.com/MTwriterFreeman.