Police confirm identities of suspect and victim in Highway 99 fatal shooting
Police have confirmed that a man who lived near the scene of a fatal Friday night shooting has been charged with murder.
Bradley Robert Quillen, 26, was lodged in the Jackson County Jail on charges of murder and unlawful use of a weapon following the Friday evening shooting that left a man dead in the middle of South Pacific Highway near a 7-Eleven convenience store.
According to a release from the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, Miguel Angel Delfin, 23, of Medford, died at the scene after being shot. His family has been notified, the release said.
Quillen's Medford address of 3857 S. Pacific Highway, No. 5, is in a mobile home park across the highway from the convenience store at 3960 S. Pacific Highway, Medford. In addition to the murder charge, Quillen was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, also a felony.
Quillen was booked in the Jackson County Jail at 2:30 a.m. Saturday, after a deputy at the Jackson County Sheriff's Office arrested him, according to jail records.
A gunshot was reported in front of the convenience store at 6:35 p.m. Friday. Callers told emergency dispatchers that a fight had broken out in the store among three men just prior to the single gunshot being fired. Two men were reported to have run from the scene, and witnesses observed a suspect flee across South Pacific Highway into the mobile home park, launching a manhunt that closed the highway — also known as Highway 99 — until shortly after 11 p.m. Friday.
Officer said that after they arrived on the scene, they unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate Delfin. A short time later, deputies located and arrested Quillen in the mobile home park. They also arrested Gladys Diarte, 18, of Medford, for interfering with the investigation and an unrelated warrant. Two subjects contacted by officers during the initial search for suspects were arrested on warrants unrelated to the case.
On Saturday, detectives served a search warrant and seized evidence at a mobile home associated with Quillen and Diarte. Detectives still are seeking to speak with the third male involved in the initial altercation. He has been identified; however, the Sheriff's Office said his name would not be released at this time.
As of Saturday morning, Quillen was lodged in the jail on more than $1 million bail.
In addition to the murder and weapon use charges, Quillen was lodged on warrants charging failure to appear on a felony charge of attempting to elude police and failure to appear on misdemeanor charges of first-degree trespassing, second-degree criminal mischief, harassment and disorderly conduct.
Quillen had previously been arrested on Sept. 19 after an incident in which he allegedly pushed a woman and broke the windshield of her car.
The Jackson County Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy this week.
The Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit is continuing to follow up on leads. Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff's Office at 541-774-6800 and reference case 16-6180.
The Sheriff's Office is investigating the case because the shooting occurred yards away from Phoenix city limits and outside of Medford city limits, Sheriff Corey Falls said Friday night.
Reach reporter Nick Morgan at 541-776-4471 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @MTCrimeBeat.