fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Items left on stove likely cause of Wednesday house fire

A fire that caused severe damage to a house in northeast Medford Wednesday morning was likely caused by a stove-top burner that was left on unattended.

The fire at a single-story house in the 2900 block of Crater Lake Avenue will likely result in a total loss, fire officials said.

Medford Fire-Rescue reported on its Facebook page that "rags and miscellaneous combustibles that were sitting atop the stove became involved, which contributed to the fire movement to the adjacent cabinetry." Fire officials said the flames spread quickly from the kitchen into the dining room and living room.

The fire, reported at 6:54 a.m., put off a column of thick smoke that rose quickly into the sky and was visible from miles away. Medford Fire-Rescue responded with four fire engines and a brush rig. Medford police, utility crews and a Mercy Flights ambulance also responded to the scene.

Medford Fire Chief Brian Fish said the fire was well underway by the time crews arrived, with flames shooting out of the living room windows and the front and back doorways.

About 20 firefighters knocked down the flames within 25 minutes. The fire dealt heavy damage to main living area, along with the garage and attic.

Four people were home when the fire broke out, but no serious injuries were reported. One of the occupants suffered smoke inhalation, but they declined transport to the hospital.

Crater Lake Avenue was closed between Delta Waters Road and Bradbury Street for several hours while firefighters and police worked the scene and packed the road with vehicles.

Reach reporter Ryan Pfeil at 541-776-4468 or rpfeil@mailtribune.com. Follow him at www.twitter.com/ryanpfeil.