fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Women face charges after crash that left 2-year-old partially paralyzed

Two local women are facing criminal charges after allegedly using methamphetamine for days and being involved in a vehicle crash that left a 2-year-old girl partially paralyzed.

The driver at the time of the crash, Lindsey Kuinilani Todd, 31, of the 400 block of West Main Street in Medford faces charges of second-degree assault, third-degree assault, driving under the influence of intoxicants and two counts of recklessly endangering another person.

Todd is scheduled to be arraigned on the charges Monday in Jackson County Circuit Court.

The girl's mother, Kimberly Ann Bennett, 28, of the 700 block of North River Road in Rogue River had been driving shortly before the crash before switching off with Todd, police said. She faces two counts of recklessly endangering another person, two counts of reckless driving and one count of driving under the influence of intoxicants.

She pleaded not guilty and has a pre-trial court conference scheduled for Aug. 29.

According to police affidavits filed in the cases, Bennett and Todd were using methamphetamine May 20 and May 21.

After being up for three days straight, police said, Bennett drove to her parents' home May 22 to pick up her toddler daughter. Several people warned Bennett and Todd not to drive because they were highly intoxicated, the affidavits said.

Todd reportedly was hallucinating and told Bennett they were too impaired to drive. Bennett placed her daughter in the vehicle anyway and drove away, but allegedly almost had a collision. Bennett then agreed she should not be driving, police said, and allowed Todd to drive. Todd drove for a few minutes before crashing in Medford, the affidavits said.

"Lindsey Todd lost control of the vehicle at Court Street and Edwards Street, struck a brick wall at a high rate of speed and the vehicle rolled over and stopped upside down," an affidavit said.

The toddler suffered a broken neck and other serious injuries, according to the affidavits. She was flown to Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Portland and underwent surgery. The girl now has paralysis in her left arm and other injuries, the affidavits said.

According to family members, the girl endured an eight-hour surgery to repair her broken neck and must wear spine-bracing gear for a minimum of three months.

A sample of Todd's blood allegedly tested positive for amphetamine, and she reportedly admitted to Medford police that she had used meth and was under the influence at the time of the crash, an affidavit said.

"Lindsey Todd stated the collision most likely would not have occurred if she was sober," the affidavit said.

Staff reporter Vickie Aldous can be reached at 541-776-4486 or valdous@mailtribune.com. Follow her at www.twitter.com/VickieAldous.