fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Reported house fire packs Central Point street

CENTRAL POINT — Fire trucks packed a Central Point neighborhood Sunday night following a 911 call about a structure fire, but the response amounted to a paltry find: smoldering towels in a bathroom under remodel.

That said, the response prevented what fire officials said could have easily been a much more volatile scene.

"It was kind of a unique situation," said Ashley Lara, Jackson County Fire District No. 3 spokeswoman.

Dispatch first received a call about a house fire at 7:47 p.m. A witness reported seeing smoke coming from the eves of a home at the intersection of Manzanita and North Fourth streets.

Fire District No. 3 responded with three engines, with support from two Medford Fire-Rescue engines. A sixth fire vehicle from the Jacksonville Fire Department was dispatched but eventually turned around. The response packed the intersection in front of the house. No one was home at the time.

Crews made entry and began a search for the source of the smoke, but came up empty. Firefighters were en route to check the attic when they spotted a closed door at the rear of the home. They opened it and found a bathroom where some towels were smoldering and putting off smoke.

Firefighters snuffed the smoke quickly. Due to the remodel, the ceiling was open, making for an easy spread for the fire.

"They were thankful they were able to catch that," Lara said. "Obviously a pretty good way (for the fire) to get right into the attic pretty quickly."

No one was injured. Crews cleared the scene by about 9:45 p.m.

How the towels began smoldering is not known. Fire officials will conduct a joint investigation into the fire's origin with Central Point police.

"We're looking at everything," Lara said. "We're not ruling anything out at this point."

Reach reporter Ryan Pfeil at 541-776-4468 or rpfeil@mailtribune.com. Follow him at www.twitter.com/ryanpfeil.