fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Chimney fire spread to roof

Ashland Fire & Rescue Tuesday afternoon put out a fire that jumped from a the chimney of a wood-burning stove onto the roof, causing significant damage to the living room of a two-story, wood frame house in the 500 block of Glenview Drive on the south edge of Ashland, above the water reservoir. Two residents got out safely.

The fire was called in as a flue fire, but, says Forest Division Chief Chris Chambers, by the time crews arrived flames were creeping along the roof line and it took a while to figure out best access roads between Ashland Loop and Glenview — both steep and winding dirt roads in that area.

“It changed to a full structure fire,” he said. “It had a chapel ceiling with no attic, making it easier to get to. It made a mess of the main room, what with water and smoke.”

Chambers said firefighters had to tear out the ceiling to get to the fire from inside and had it put out within 20 minutes of the call.

“There was fairly significant damage to the ceiling, but, he adds, “they should be able to patch it and get new carpeting. It was a pretty good outcome. It could have been a lot worse if it were in the summer, because they are close to forestland.”

John Darling is an Ashland freelance writer. Reach him at jdarling@jeffnet.org.

The Ashland Fire & Rescue logo