fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Medford firefighters pounce on attic fire

Medford firefighters doused a residential attic fire sparked by arcing electrical wires Tuesday morning, fire officials said.

The fire, in the 2000 block of Crater Lake Avenue, was reported by residents at 1:44 a.m., according to 911 dispatch records. Seven people were in the house at the time, and some smelled smoke and heard popping sounds in the attic, Medford Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Erin Sawall said. Medford Fire-Rescue’s No. 5 station is nearby, and crews responded with four fire engines within about two minutes.

The occupants of the house were able to safely evacuate. Smoke was present when crews arrived, and firefighters could hear the sounds of arcing wires.

Crews had to pull down some ceiling sections to access the attic to extinguish the small fire. All damage was confined to the attic. Crews shut off the power to secure the arcing wires.

“We had it handled very quickly,” Sawall said.

The home had recently undergone some electrical work, Sawall said. An electrician will evaluate the incident and resulting damage.

The occupants will stay with family. Crews cleared the scene at 3:20 a.m.

Medford fire.jpg