fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

One dead, two injured in shootout with police

View all photos

A man wanted by the U.S. Marshals is dead, his passenger is in the hospital and a Jackson County sheriff’s deputy is out of the hospital following a domestic violence report that escalated into a shootout in Eagle Point.

Dale Arthur Amstutz-Dunn, 39, died Tuesday at a hospital following an exchange of gunfire with a Jackson County sheriff’s deputy who was shot in the chest — and was protected by a body armor — during a traffic stop, Sheriff Nathan Sickler said Wednesday afternoon at a Zoom press conference.

Sheriff’s deputies and Eagle Point police responded to a domestic violence call at 7:21 p.m. involving Amstutz-Dunn in the 100 block of Idlewood Drive, according to Sickler.

Witnesses told Eagle Point police a firearm was involved in the dispute, so police called for backup, and the sheriff’s office responded as part of its mutual aid agreement.

By the time officers arrived at the home, Amstutz-Dunn had left with a friend in an SUV, and officers pulled over the vehicle in a traffic stop minutes later.

Sickler said there were “multiple officers on scene” from the two law enforcement agencies at the time the shots-fired call came in at 7:36 p.m., but he did not provide an exact number of personnel.

A male passenger in Amstutz-Dunn’s SUV, whose name and age Sickler did not release, is in the hospital after sustaining non-life-threatening injuries.

At the time of the shooting, Amstutz-Dunn was wanted by the U.S. Marshals service for violating his probation on a 2007 felon in possession of a firearm conviction.

Amstutz-Dunn was armed with a handgun during the confrontation, but Sickler did not provide further details about the weapon.

The multi-agency Jackson County Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit, consisting of personnel from the sheriff’s office, Oregon State Police, Medford, Ashland, Central Point police and the Jackson County District Attorney’s Office, is investigating the number of shots fired, Sickler said.

Sickler provided few details about the domestic violence call that led to the traffic stop because investigators are still interviewing witnesses and piecing together the circumstances. He indicated that the dispute involved more parties than just Amstutz-Dunn and a woman.

“There’s other people that are being talked to,” he said.

The name of the deputy involved and the passenger’s involvement in the dispute — if any — will be released at a later date after a Jackson County grand jury reviews details to determine whether the deputy was justified in using deadly force.

Sickler said the injured deputy was released from the hospital Tuesday night after being treated for a minor injury and is “doing well.”

U.S. District Court records in Oregon show that Amstutz-Dunn was sentenced to 10 years in prison in 2007 after pleading guilty to possessing a Ruger Super Redhawk .44-caliber handgun the year prior despite earlier felony convictions in Marion County and Clackamas County Circuit Court for first-degree burglary, felon in possession of a firearm and unauthorized use of a vehicle.

Amstutz-Dunn’s most recent felony conviction was first-degree theft in 2017. Clackamas County Circuit Court records show he pleaded guilty to stealing more than $1,000 worth of merchandise from a Fred Meyer store.

Sickler said that Amstutz-Dunn was also a person of interest in a Keizer shooting earlier this year. No charges were ever filed in the case.

Amstutz-Dunn’s name does not appear in any civil or family law cases, according to a search in Oregon court records.

Reach reporter Nick Morgan at nmorgan@rosebudmedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @MTCrimeBeat. Web editor Ryan Pfeil contributed to this report.

Jackson County Sheriff Nathan Sickler describes how a sheriff's deputy is faring after being injured in an Eagle Point gunfire exchange that resulted in one fatality. Mail Tribune video / Nick MorganThumbnail