fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Fire at former Inn at the Commons sends two to hospital

Two people were taken to a nearby hospital with smoke inhalation after a fire Monday at the former Inn at the Commons, which had been housing victims displaced in the Almeda fire. [Medford Fire Department photo]

Two people were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation after an overnight fire at a Medford hotel room converted into a shelter for Almeda fire survivors.

The room was “severely damaged,” fire officials said.

The fire at 200 N. Riverside Ave. — site of the former Inn at the Commons, which is being redeveloped into an apartment complex known as The Merrick at the Commons — was reported at 12:27 a.m. Monday, according to Medford Fire Department Deputy Fire Marshal Mark Shay.

Firefighters knocked down the fire 12 minutes after the first call, and contained the fire to a single room, according to Shay.

Four nearby units are out of commission due to smoke damage, but Shay said “there was no fire intrusion.” The remainder of occupants in the building are back inside.

The building had been used as temporary shelter for Almeda fire survivors.