Jackson County health inspectors evaluated 90 restaurants in December. Chun's Palace, Ashland, failed its semiannual inspection, scoring 61 points. A portion of all scores are published weekly in the Mail Tribune.
The following restaurants received passing scores of 70 points or higher:
- 38 Central, Medford — 82;
- Abby's Legendary Pizza, 835 E. Pine St., Central Point — 98;
- Abby's Pizza Inn, South Riverside Avenue, Medford — 91;
- Adam's Deli & Catering, Medford — 94;
- Agave, Ashland — 94;
- Applegate River Lodge, Applegate — 80;
- Aramark, Jackson County Jail, Medford — 99;
- Wild Goose Cafe & Bar, Ashland — 91;
- Ashland Gourmet, Ashland — 80;
- Bear Creek Operations Cafeteria, Medford — 99;
- Bobbio's Pizza No. 3, White City — 96;
- Bruddah Joe's Hawaiian Plate Lunch, Medford — 96;
- Cafe Nom-Yen, Ashland — 90;
- Caffe Diem, Medford — 87;
- Callahan's Lodge Inc., Ashland — 90;
- Central Point Senior Center, Central Point — 94;
- China Hut Restaurant & Lounge, Medford — 83;
- Cobblestone Farm Bakery & Cafe, Rogue River — 93;
- Double Deuce Sandwiches, Ashland — 98;
- Downtowne Coffeehouse, Talent — 95;
- Dragonfly Restaurant, Ashland — 92;
- Eddy's Almost Famous, Stewart Avenue, Medford — 94;
- El Albanil, Central Point — 95;
- El Tapatio Mexican Restaurant, Ashland — 92;
- Golden Girls Espresso, Ashland — 90.
Inspectors subtract points for critical violations, which include: foods maintained at improper temperatures, improperly cooled or reheated; not properly protected from contamination, from unapproved origins, unsafe, adulterated or not honestly presented; not date-marked or discarded upon expiration; raw animal foods improperly cooked; presence of rodents or insects; inadequate personal hygiene; failure to clean and sanitize food equipment; lack of an approved water system; toxic chemicals or cleansers not properly stored, used or labeled.
Restaurant scores are posted online at www.jacksoncounty.org and www.mailtribune.com/dining.
Inspection files are open to the public at the division of environmental health, Jackson County Health and Human Services, 1005 E. Main St., Medford.