Local students nominated to U.S. service academies
U.S. Rep. Greg Walden, R-Hood River, has announced the nomination of six students from Southern Oregon for acceptance to one of the United States service academies. Members of Walden’s Service Academy Nomination Board — active and retired military officers who interview potential candidates to the service academies and make recommendations to Walden — selected the students based on their academic performance, extracurricular involvement and character.
The service academies include the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colo.; the Military Academy at West Point, N.Y.; the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.; and the Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, N.Y. Final selection for admission to the service academies will be performed by officials at each respective academy in the spring.
Students who are interested in learning more about service academy nominations can visit Walden’s website at https://walden.house.gov/academynominations.
Rogue Valley students nominated by Walden are:
- Brandon Brooks, son of Ted and Kymberly Brooks of Medford, graduated from South Medford High School, attending Southern Oregon University, nominated to the U.S. Air Force Academy.
- Christian Cheshire, son of Walter and Kathryn Cheshire of Central Point, home schooled, nominated to the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy and the U.S. Military Academy.
- Mark McAlister, son of Mark and Debra McAlister of Medford, attending Phoenix High School, nominated to the U.S. Naval Academy.
- Ethan Shepherd, son of David and Kirsten Shepherd of Phoenix, attending Phoenix High School, nominated to the U.S. Air Force Academy, the U.S. Naval Academy and the U.S. Military Academy.
- Joshua Wu, son of Kevin and Julie Wu of Medford, attending St. Mary’s High School, nominated to the U.S. Air Force Academy.
- Easton Bents, son of Robert and Denise Bents of Grants Pass, attending Grants Pass High School, nominated to the U.S. Air Force Academy.