Cultural Coalition awards $25,000 to 17 nonprofits
The Jackson County Cultural Coalition recently distributed $25,000 to 17 area nonprofits for 2020 projects intended to support arts and humanities in Jackson County, according to a news release.
The funding will go toward theater performances, literacy programs, classes and other offerings.
The coalition is part of the Oregon Cultural Trust, which raises money to support arts, heritage and humanities programs in the state.
This year’s local recipients are:
- A Greater Applegate - $1,000 to support the Cheryl Garcia Art Walk at Cantrall Buckley County Park.
- Anima Mundi - $1,000 to present the world premiere of a song cycle “Dreams Have No Borders”
- Ashland Children’s Theatre - $2,000 to support the production of “The Wonderland Project”
- Jackson County Library Foundation - $1,000 to support the literacy program “Baby’s First Book”
- Kapioanuenue (Ashland Hula School) - $1,000 to support classes, workshops and public performances
- Randall Theatre - $2,000 to present the world premiere of the musical “Waiting Star”
- Redemption Ridge - $800 to support dance movement therapy for female victims of domestic sex trafficking
- Rogue Valley Chorale - $1,000 to present choral concerts for students, by students
- Rogue Valley Genealogical Society - $1,500 to fund a two-day workshop and seminar “They Came in Ships”
- Rogue World Music - $2,000 to support music education in local schools
- SMART Reading - $2,500 for culturally relevant books for local children and families
- Southern Oregon Historical Society - $1,500 to expand public access to the 1946 “Amphibious” Ashland fire engine
- Southern Oregon Repertory Singers - $500 to increase youth access to concerts
- Southern Oregon University Anthropology/Sociology - $1,000 for a digital history display in Eagle Point
- Southern Oregon University youth programs - $3,000 for Konaway Nika Tillicum, a residential program for Native high school students
- Talent Historical Society - $2,000 to develop local history curriculum materials
- The Hearth - $1,200 to develop podcasts for community storytellers