fb pixel

Log In


Reset Password

Diamond Lake water safe, health officials say

Health officials have lifted an algae advisory at Diamond Lake, saying levels of blue-green algae in it are low enough now that the substance likely poses no threat to humans or animals.

The advisory, the first in four years at one of the region's most popular fishing lakes, went into effect July 15.

Health managers had said levels of anabaena flos-aquae in water at the lake's south end were close to four times higher than World Health Organization standards, while tests on water near the lake's north boat ramp showed algae levels under WHO standards.

New tests have confirmed levels of algae in the lake are low enough that the toxin is not likely a source of danger, health officials said today.

Diamond Lake's last algae bloom was in 2006, when the eastern Douglas County lake was poisoned to kill millions of tui chubs that helped create unhealthy levels of algae.

Blooms in Oregon have become common during summers, and in the past they have lasted anywhere from less than three weeks to more than five months.

Health officials advise people and their pets to avoid water contact if clumps of algae are visible in water.

Exposure to toxins can produce symptoms such as numbness, tingling and dizziness that can lead to difficulty breathing. Those who suffer symptoms of skin irritation, weakness, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and fainting should seek medical attention if they persist or worsen.

Health officials on Monday lifted a health advisory at nearby Lemolo Lake that had been in place since July 1.