10 things to know for Wednesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TRUMP THREATENS TO USE MISSILES IN SYRIA
Trump’s threat drew a quick response from Russia, who said that missiles would destroy evidence of suspected chemical weapons attack.
2. HOUSE SPEAKER PAUL RYAN NOT RUNNING FOR RE-ELECTION.
Two people with knowledge of the Wisconsin lawmaker’s thinking said Ryan has decided against seeking another term.
3. ALGERIAN MILITARY PLANE CRASHES
The North African country’s emergency services say 257 people were killed in the crash of a Soviet-designed Il-76 plane southwest of the capital.
4. WHAT SENATORS ARE DOING WHILE TRUMP FUMES OVER FBI RAID
A bipartisan group of four lawmakers is crafting a bill to protect special counsel Robert Mueller’s job as the president publicly muses about firing him.
5. IN US-CHINA TRADE SPAT, WHO HAS THE UPPER HAND
Trump faces continuing churn in his administration and a tough challenge in midterm elections, while Xi Jinping leads an outwardly stable authoritarian regime.
6. WHAT ZUCKERBERG SAID ABOUT NETWORK’S DATA SCANDAL
The Facebook chief told senators that he made mistakes and the social network’s mission is to “help people connect.” And no, he’s not resigning.
7. LEGISLATURES LACK PUBLIC RECORDS OF MISCONDUCT CLAIMS
An AP review finds the majority of state legislative chambers across the U.S. have no records publicly available of sexual misconduct claims, even where lawmakers have been disciplined or publicly accused of harassment.
8. SESSIONS HEADS TO THE BORDER
The attorney general is traveling to New Mexico to speak about immigration to a meeting of sheriffs while National Guard troops deploy to the U.S.-Mexico border.
9. BOSTON MARATHON BOMB SURVIVORS INSPIRE MEDICAL PROGRESS
Science has made promising advances in amputations and artificial limbs in the five years since the attack that maimed 17.
10. LAST DAY OF NBA SEASON HAS A GAME 7 FEEL
For Denver and Minnesota, the winner of Game 82 goes to the playoffs, loser to the offseason.