10 things to know for Tuesday
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. AFTER CRITICISM, TRUMP HONORS MCCAIN
The president relents under pressure by tersely recognizing the late senator’s “service to our country” and re-lowering the White House flag.
2. TRUMP SAYS HE HAS TRADE DEAL WITH MEXICO
Can Canada, the third member country in NAFTA and America’s No. 2 trading partner, be coaxed or coerced into a new pact?
3. SHOOTING SUSPECT HAD MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES
David Katz, the suspect in a deadly shooting at a Florida video game tournament, had previously been hospitalized for mental illness, an AP review of court records finds.
4. ARIZONA, FLORIDA , OKLAHOMA POISED FOR PRIMARIES
Three Republicans who have embraced Trump are vying to replace Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake, who is retiring after his fierce criticism of the president.
5. WHAT DEMOCRATS WILL GRILL KAVANAUGH ON
The Supreme Court nominee has frequently supported giving the government wide latitude in the name of national security.
6. CALIFORNIA WINE COUNTRY FIRES LEAVE RESIDENTS STRUGGLING
Many homeowners in hard-hit Santa Rosa have discovered they’re underinsured, which has delayed claims settlements and construction.
7. MANY BIG COLLEGES FIERCELY PROTECT BRANDS
Duke, North Carolina State, Texas A&M and Minnesota are among the universities that have been aggressive in protecting their mascots, slogans and logos, AP finds.
8. JUDGES: CONGRESS MAP STILL UNLAWFUL WITH PARTISAN BIAS
Federal judges in North Carolina also raised the possibility of directing the state’s GOP-dominated legislature to redraw the maps in time for November’s midterm elections.
9. NOT EVERYONE THRIVING IN ROBUST ECONOMY
About 40 percent of American families struggled to meet at least one of their basic needs last year, including paying for food, health care, housing or utilities, a survey finds.
10. QB SET TO FACE SCHOOL HE ATTENDS
Harris Roberts goes to school at Clemson but plays quarterback for Furman and those worlds collide when the Paladins face the Tigers this weekend.