Pot-laced Oreos send South students to hospital
Three South Medford High School students have been rushed via ambulance on suspected drug overdoses this week, the Medford School District confirmed Thursday afternoon.
“The two kids transported today were believed to have overdosed after they ... ingested edible marijuana products,” Natalie Hurd, spokeswoman for the school district, said Thursday.
Medford police and the school district are investigating the cause of the first reported overdose, which happened Tuesday afternoon, Hurd said.
“We don’t really have confirmed information about what led that student to get sick,” she said.
The two students who were transported by ambulance to a local hospital Thursday morning had apparently become ill after dripping marijuana-infused oil onto Oreo cookies, Hurd said.
She said that all three student subjects of the 911 calls were conscious, breathing and able to talk with students and staff during the incidents.
“We have actual evidence to support what the students were saying about what happened today,” she said. “With the Tuesday situation it’s a little bit more complicated.”
Hurd said that the school district is seeing an increase in use of marijuana edibles among students.
“We’re asking that families engage in conversations with their kids,” she said, adding that although drug use is addressed in health curriculum both in middle and high school, “these are children with developing brains that might not make the best decisions when faced with a choice of whether or not to experiment.”
The district is asking parents who may use marijuana or related products to keep all items secured away from where students can access them.
Medford police did not immediately return calls from the Mail Tribune Thursday.