Red Cross has ‘critical need’ for blood donations in Southern Oregon
In an effort to combat low inventories and falling blood donation numbers, the American Red Cross is offering a variety of gifts, prizes and special events intended to entice healthy people in Southern Oregon to give blood.
A pair of “Pint for a Pint” events in Medford are among 16 blood drives scheduled across the Rogue Valley in September.
Local inventories are low for most blood types, according to Christina Martin, an account manager with the Red Cross Pacific Northwest Blood Services Region, which operates a center in Medford. The Red Cross is seeing an uptick in canceled drives, and lower turnout at the drives that happen.
A Sept. 7 Pint for a Pint drive sponsored by Common Block Brewing has been moved from the brewery to the Red Cross blood donation center in Medford, where donors will leave with a coupon for a beverage. According to Martin, the change is because the Red Cross bloodmobile is no longer in Southern Oregon.
A Sept. 28 blood drive on site at the Medford Center will offer a Pint for a Pint promotion from Tap and Vine, according to Martin. Other retailers in the shopping center are also participating in the drive with incentives for donors.
Martin says more “Pint Fests” events that will partner with other breweries are in the works
Other incentives for those who donate include a free campfire mug from the Red Cross for those who donate over Labor Day weekend and a free haircut from Sport Clips for those who donate at any time in the month of September.
To make an appointment, call 1-800-733-2767 or see redcrossblood.org.
- Sept. 7: Table Rock Fellowship, 3610 S. Pacific Highway, Medford, from 2 to 7 p.m.
- Sept. 9: Medford Donor Center, 1174 Progress Dr., Suite 102 (sponsored by Common Block/Pint for a Pint drive); noon to 6 p.m.
- Sept. 9: First Baptist Church, 2004 Siskiyou Blvd., Ashland; 12:30 to 6 p.m.
- Sept. 10: Pioneer Hall, 73 Winburn Way, Ashland; 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sept. 10: Sacred Heart Catholic Church, 517 W. 10th St., Medford; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (includes a raffle for a $50 Wild River Brewing and Pizza gift card)
- Sept. 13: Rogue River Fire Station, 5474 N. River Road, Gold Hill; 12:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Sept. 14: Collier Creative Center, 50 N. Fir St., Medford; 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sept. 15: Ashland Elks Lodge #944, 255 E. Main St.; 1 to 6 p.m.
- Sept. 17: First United Methodist Church, 175 N. Main St., Ashland; noon to 6 p.m
- Sept. 20: Phoenix Civic Center, 220 N. Main St.; 1 to 5:30 p.m.
- Sept. 21: Medford Congregational United Church of Christ, 1801 E. Jackson St.; 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Sept. 22: San George Estates, 10 E. South Stage Road, Medford; 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Sept. 27: Ascension Lutheran Church, 675 Black Oak Dr., Medford; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sept. 28: The Village at Medford Center, Space 551; 1 to 6 p.m.
- Sept. 30: Rogue Credit Union, 1370 Center Dr., Medford; 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sept. 30: Ashpole Community Center, 17 Buchanan, Eagle Point; 1 to 6 p.m.