fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Javna is Kiwanis student of month

Jesse Javna has been recognized by the Kiwanis Club of Ashland as the October 2007 Student of the Month.

Each month during the school year, the Kiwanis Club honors a senior student from Ashland High School with an award certificate and a $50 savings bond. During the month of May 2008, two of the nine monthly winners for the current school year will be further honored with the Tommy Laird Kiwanis Scholarship, a $1,000 college scholarship.

Jesse has a 4.0 grade-point average, and is a National Merit Finalist. He has taken many advanced placement classes, including U.S. history, language and composition, chemistry and government. He attended a summer session at Guanajuato University, was on the Speech and Debate team, and was a student tutor in chemistry, biology, Spanish, American studies and other classes.

This year he is the editor in chief of the school newspaper. Last year he was the newspaper's news/opinion editor. He has participated in the Model United Nations, Key Club, Amnesty International, Peer Jury, Mu Alpha Theta Math Club, and Global Citizens Corporation. He was also a Student Leadership freshman mentor.

He enjoys playing guitar with his friends and family, and his band won the high school's Battle of the Bands competition two years in a row He also participated in freshman and varsity basketball, and junior varsity tennis. In the community, he has volunteered for ScienceWorks Museum, as a sixth-grade spring boys basketball coach, with the Food Drive, Toy Drive, Mail Carrier's Food Driver, Freshman Day, Global Aids Awareness Day and with Hunger Awareness Week. He also worked as an Earthworks Press Intern and Rent-a-Grizz manual helper.

The Kiwanis Club of Ashland recognized Leanna Faudree as the November 2007 Student of the Month. A senior from the Ashland High School is honored each month during the school year.

Preparing for her college career, Leanna has been taking AP English Literature, English composition and calculus. She has competed on the Math Team for the past two years. The math team won first place twice and second place once out of five events. She was honored as a member of the National Honor Society during her senior year, and she was also honored as biology student of the year in her sophomore year. Her first choice for college is Tufts University in Medford, Mass., focusing on international studies, math and science.

Some of her extracurricular activities include Chamber Orchestra, Model UN participant, student government member, Fresh Start counselor, Chautauqua Poets and Writer's Secretary, and Site Council Representative. She was the Orchestra Student of the Year during her junior and senior years.

In the community she helped with Community Meals, Fresh Start, and Chautauqua Coordination. She also tutored a fifth-grade student.

She has traveled to Mexico, France, Germany, United Kingdom, China and Argentina. Last summer she worked 35 hours each week to save up for trips to China and Buenos Aires. She was part of the orchestra that traveled to China. In her spare time, she plays basketball and golf. Her hobbies include violin, cello, guitar and foreign languages.

The Student of the Month receives an award certificate and a $50 savings bond. During the month of May 2008, two of the nine monthly winners for the current school year will be further honored with a $1,000 college scholarship. This is called the "Tommy Laird Kiwanis Scholarship."

For the month of December 2007, the Kiwanis Club of Ashland has recognized Andrew Cataldo as the Student of the Month. A senior student from the Ashland High School is honored each month during the school year.

Preparing for his college career, Andrew has taken Advanced Placement courses of U.S. History, English literature, biochemistry, government, English composition, physics and Spanish 3. He is maintaining a grade-point average of 3.97. He has his sights set on earning a degree in criminal justice or criminology at either Gonzaga or the University of Portland. Some of his academic honors include AP Scholar Award, Future First Citizen Scholarship Award, Grant Recipient for Positive Youth Development, Jackson County Health and Human Services, and National Honor Society for the past three years.

He also plays a large role in sports activities, including varsity water polo, varsity swim team, Varsity Tennis, Varsity Hockey, and Men's Club Volleyball. His athletic awards include Student Athlete Leadership Team, 5A/4A Water Polo Regional All Stars (first team), Southern Oregon Conference Water Polo (first team) and AHS Water Polo MVP. He has also been honored for both the tennis and swim teams for academic excellence.

Some of his extracurricular activities include Fresh Start counselor, Global Citizen Corps, Freshman Peer Mentoring, and the Ashland High School Key Club. He is an accomplished photographer and he started his own personal photography business. His work has been shown around Ashland High School as well as around town. He has donated his photographs to support community and school fund raising efforts. He also enjoys rock climbing and skiing.

In the community, he has volunteered on the Ashland School's Foundation fund drive, worked on the campaign to save the Southern Oregon University pool, and participated in the Red Cross Blood Drive and Relay for Life fundraiser.

Each student of the Month receives an award certificate and a $50 savings bond. During the month of May 2008, two of the nine monthly winners for the current school year will be further honored with a $1,000 college scholarship. This is called the "Tommy Laird Kiwanis Scholarship."

The Ashland Kiwanis Club volunteers each year to read to children at Bellview Elementary School as part of the Drop Everything and Read (DEAR) program.

For the current school year of 2007/08, the time commitment for each volunteer is 30 to 60 minutes per week. Students are selected by teachers for this special reading program. Each participating child is coached or read to during the reading sessions, and these children also attend reading classes during the school week. The Kiwanis is also donating $500 toward the purchase of books for the Bellview library.

On Dec. 2, the Kiwanis Club of Ashland held a barbecue at The Grove to help the local Pop Warner football team celebrate another year of football. The team, sponsored by the Kiwanis Club, won the state championship for the second year in a row.

All the team members, and their families, were invited to the celebration at The Grove. The Kiwanis Club provided hamburgers and hot dogs, while various parents provided potluck entries and drinks. Greg White, Pop Warner coach, led the celebration by handing out awards and memorabilia.

Other members helping with the barbecue were Don Paul and his wife, Rita, Sylvia Sullivan, Russ Chadick (this year's president), Bill Feagin and Ron Parker. The primary focus of the Kiwanis Club is "Serving the Children of the World." Some of the other programs supported and/or funded by Kiwanis include: Babe Ruth baseball, Ashland High School Senior All-Night alcohol free graduation party, AHS Chamber Choir, Boy Scout Troup 112, Girl Scouts, AHS Key Club, Key Leader program, Oregon Boy's State, Bellview Reading program, Ashland Middle School Postcard program, Thanksgiving for the needy, ACH Baby Safety program, Campus Life-Teen Mom Mentoring program, Christmas Giving Tree at the local Albertson's store and Special Olympic programs.