What to Do
- Celebrate the Chinese New Year, the Year of the Rat, today in Jacksonville. A traditional Lion Dance Parade begins at 10:30 a.m. with many other demonstrations and shows throughout the day at various locations. Dragon Art Puppet Theater will present a classical Chines puppet show at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the U.S. Hotel Ballroom, 125 E. California St. Admission is $5. For a complete schedule of events, see www.socca.us. Call 899-8118.
- Rogue Valley Street Rods presents the 31st annual Southern Oregon Rod and Custom Show will be held this weekend at the Jackson County Fairgrounds, 1 Peninger Road, Central Point. The event is a benefit for Oregon Health & Science University Child Development & Rehabilitation Center. Hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $7 adults, $2 kids 6-12 and free for kids 5 and under. Call 665-1553 or see www.roguevalleystreetrods.com for details.
- Storytime at The Farm will be held from 1 to 3 p.m. today at The Farm, 51 S. Stage Road, Medford. The storytime will feature "Fiona No No" the diva donkey that lives at The Farm. Call 535-1316 for activities and costs.
- This year's children's theatre offering by the SOU Department of Theatre Arts is "Many Moons," which follows 10-year-old Princess Lenore who ate too many raspberry tarts and believes the moon will take her stomach ache away. Performances are at 7 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 2 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays from Feb. 15 through March 2 at the Center Square Theatre, 1250 Siskiyou Blvd., Ashland. Tickets are $17 general, $14 seniors and $5 students. Tickets are available at the door, or call 552-6348.
- There will be a benefit sing-along concert for Peace House from 6:30 to 8 p.m. today at the Rogue Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, 87 Fourth St., Ashland. Doors open at 6 p.m. Admission is $10.
- Darex Ice Rink, adjacent to Lithia Park in Ashland, is open for skating and hockey, weather permitting. Call 488-5340 or see ashlandparksandrec.org for hours and dates of operation.
- Kids 7 and up and adults are invited to a drum lesson/circle from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Sunday at Bellvue Grange, 1050 Tolman Creek Road, Ashland. Bring your own drum, or use one on hand. Admission is $12 for adults, free for kids under 12 accompanied by a paying adult.
- Roller Odyssey, 2425 S. Pacific Highway, Medford, will hold a President's Day Skate from 1 to 4 p.m. Monday. $10 includes admission, skate rental and lunch. Call 772-1400.
- Children can play with animals, help with farm chores, make crafts, play games and get help with homework from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays during the After School Program at The Farm, 51 S. Stage Road, Medford. Call 535-1316 for information and costs. Proceeds benefit Kids & Critters, a nonprofit organization that provides programs for at-risk youth and foster children.
Kids 6-12 are invited to make their own decorative pillow using felt and simple stitches from 4 to 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Santo Community Center, 701 N. Columbus Ave., Medford. Cost is $9/$15. Call 774-2400.
The Fifth Annual Daddy Daughter Dinner Dance for ages 5 and up will be held from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday at the Red Lion Ballroom, 200 N. Riverside Ave., Medford. The event includes dinner, dancing, a DJ and a keepsake photo. Cost is $26 per person. Preregistration is required. Call 774-2400.