What to do
- Help send the Rogue River High School volleyball team to the University of Oregon volleyball camp during Rogue River's all-city yard sale. The team will be selling donated items and will provide drinks and snacks, including Krispy Kreme donuts. All proceeds go toward sending the team to volleyball camp.
- Kid Time! once again welcomes SOU's Chemistry Club as they spend a day teaching kids to have fun with chemistry from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Kid Time!, 226 N. Ross Lane, Medford. Kids will have an opportunity to experiment with Shrinky Dinks, GAK, Acid-Base Lab and more. Free admission all day. Call 772-9922.
- Join the Center for Spiritual Living - Medford at 10 a.m. for a river clean-up as part of the statewide "Oregon Day of Service." All across Oregon, volunteers will be picking up litter along the roads, trails and shorelines of creeks and rivers. The Center for Spiritual Living will focus on the Rogue River at Tilomikh Falls, upstream from Gold Hill. American Indian storyteller Thomas Doty will be at the falls to bless the efforts and share with the group the cultural significance of Tilomikh and the sacred salmon ceremony. Bring water, lunch and a food item to share with friends. Call Ogden Kellogg at 855-7373 to add your name to the list and for more detailed information, including the location and carpooling ideas.
- Celebrate National Pet Week at the annual Jacksonville Mutt Strut at 2 p.m. The dog walk is a short hike on a nature trail near the Britt Festival. Park at the Jacksonville Library, 340 W. C St., and follow the signs to the registration site. Registration is at 1:30 p.m. There is a suggested donation of $20, but any amount is appreciated. Participants will be eligible for prizes. There also will be dogs available for adoption from Friends of the Animal Shelter. Proceeds benefit the Jackson County Animal Shelter's Slim Jim Lane project, a walking area at the shelter. Call 899-1080.
- Schneider Children's Center at Southern Oregon University will hold its third annual silent auction from 3 to 5 p.m. at Cox Hall at SOU. All proceeds benefit the children at the center. The auction is a family-friendly event, with free parking, light refreshments, face painting and simple crafts. Call 552-8224 or e-mail email@example.com.
- A Guitar Hero tournament will begin at 5 p.m. at the Boys and Girls Club of the Rogue Valley, 203 S.E. Ninth St., Grants Pass. There will be prizes, trophies and a raffle. Preregistration is $10. Cost at the door is $15. All proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life. Call 441-1055.
- Phoenix High School presents the musical comedy "The Frogs" at 7:30 p.m. today and 2:30 p.m. Sunday at the Rose Street Theater, 745 N. Rose St., Phoenix. General admission is $10; students and seniors $4. Call 535-3837.
- Family-friendly music and dance will showcase performers from Haiti, Eugene and Ashland from 7 to 10 p.m. today at Bellview Grange, 1050 Tolman Creek Road, Ashland. Music will include beat-box and live-production artist Otties from Haiti, DJ Cherub from Ashland, DJ Sauce from Eugene, and DJ Bale del Norte from Ashland. Organic food will be available. Admission is $10 (sliding scale). Doors open at 7 p.m. The show begins at 8 p.m. Call 482-3999 for details on tabling, vending and/or volunteer information.
The Southern Oregon Concert Band, conducted by Dr. Ted Dollarhide, presents its free Centennial Celebration Concert (1909-2009) at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Ginger Rogers Craterian Theater in Medford. Admission is free, tickets are not required. The evening of concert will showcase Daniel Swayze, a pianist and SOU student, performing Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue," soprano Heather Hutton, in a performance of "A Valentine Medley" arranged by Ted Dollarhide; and the Talent and Scenic Middle School choirs singing the "Star Spangled Banner." The concert will include the world premiere of "Suite of Flight" by George Somi, Stravinsky's "Berceuse and Finale" from "The Firebird Suite," the lively "Chicago," plus a number of Sousa marches and audience favorites. See the Web site www.socband.org.
Rogue Gallery and Art Center, 40 S. Bartlett St., Medford, offers "Drop In and Draw," a supervised afternoon art workshop for kids 6 and older from 1:30 to 4 p.m. Wednesdays during the school year. Cost is $3 per hour per child and includes art supplies. Call 772-8118.
Northwest Nature Shop offers weekly nature stories featuring bugs, bears, birds, jungles and more for children of all ages at 10:30 a.m. Fridays at the shop, 154 Oak St., Ashland. All ages are welcome to this free event. Call 482-3241.
Boatnik will be held May 23 in Grants Pass.