Rankings for hard-cover books sold in Southern California, as reported by selected book stores:
1. "A Dance With Dragons," by George R.R. Martin. The Seven Kingdoms are at risk again in the fifth "Song of Ice and Fire" book.
2. "Ghost Story," by Jim Butcher. Dead and without magical powers, wizard detective Harry Dresden must solve his own murder.
3."Dreams of Joy," by Lisa See. A young Chinese American woman's search for her father in Mao Zedong's China.
4. "Portrait of a Spy," by Daniel Silva. Anti-terrorist expert Gabriel Allon tracks down a dangerous American-born cleric with deadly plans.
5. "The Paris Wife," by Paula McLain. A tale of Hemingway and his first wife, Hadley, set in 1920s Paris.
6. "Rules of Civility," by Amor Towles. A year in the social life of three twenty-somethings set in jazz-age New York City.
7."State of Wonder," by Ann Patchett. An atmospheric tale of two researchers and the many shades of truth in the Amazon.
8."Catching Fire," by Suzanne Collins. Hunger Games winners face the consequences of their victory.
9. "Mockingjay," by Suzanne Collins. No one is safe in the final "Hunger Games" installment.
10. "The Last Werewolf," by Glen Duncan. A 21st century story of a distraught and lonely werewolf.
1. "Go the F—to Sleep," by Adam Mansbach. A comical not-for-kids picture book on the perils of bedtime.
2. "Unbroken," by Laura Hillenbrand. The life story of Louis Zamperini: World War II bombardier, POW and Olympian.
3. "In the Garden of Beasts," by Erik Larson. Complex ties between the U.S. ambassador's family and Nazi elite in 1930s Berlin.
4. "A Stolen Life," by Jaycee Dugard. Jaycee Dugard describes her 18-year imprisonment as a kidnap victim.
5. "The Greater Journey," by David McCullough. How Americans in 19th century Paris shaped ideals at home.
6. "Area 51," by Annie Jacobsen. A history of the secret Nevada base with familiar conspiracy theories and unexpected ties to Stalin.
7. "Writing Movies for Fun and Profit," by Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon. Conquering the Hollywood studio system.
8. "Supergods," by Grant Morrison. A history of comic books and what they say about humankind.
9. "Bossypants," by Tina Fey. A memoir by the actress, mom and writer who has rocked the comedy world.
10. "Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book," by Jeff Kinney. An expanded interactive journal based on the books and movies.