Test your Oscar knowledge
Are you ready to tussle with the formidable 23rd Os-Caro Quiz? Argo knock yourself out.
1. Adele's "Skyfall" could become the first best song winner for a James Bond theme. Which one of the following was not a best song nominee?
B. Live and Let Die
C. Nobody Does It Better (The Spy Who Loved Me)
D. For Your Eyes Only
2. Oscars host Seth MacFarlane could win a statuette for best song; he co-wrote "Everybody Needs a Best Friend," from "Ted." Who is the only person to win an Oscar the same year he was a host?
A. Sammy Davis, Jr.
B. Jack Lemmon
C. Shirley MacLaine
D. David Niven
3. Emmanuelle Riva ("Amour"), 85, and Quvenzhane Wallis ("Beasts of the Southern Wild"), 9, are, respectively, the oldest and youngest best actress nominees ever. Who are the oldest and youngest best actor nominees ever?
A. Henry Fonda and Mickey Rooney
B. Richard Farnsworth and Jackie Cooper
C. Clint Eastwood and John Travolta
D. Peter O'Toole and Justin Henry
4. Who of the following nominated actresses had her first credited movie or TV role at the youngest age?
A. Sally Field
B. Anne Hathaway
C. Helen Hunt
D. Jennifer Lawrence
5. "Argo" is considered a best picture favorite despite director Ben Affleck not being nominated. Which is not one of the three movies to win best picture without a director nomination?
B. Driving Miss Daisy
C. Grand Hotel
6. Affleck won the Directors Guild of America feature-film award despite the Oscar snub. Three of these directors won the DGA honor but not the Oscar in the same year. Which one did not?
A. Francis Coppola
B. Ang Lee
C. Martin Scorsese
D. Steven Spielberg
7. Some speculate that "Argo" could win best picture and no other Oscars. What was the last best picture winner to take home only that award?
A. Chariots of Fire
B. The Greatest Show on Earth
C. Mutiny on the Bounty
D. Grand Hotel
8. As an "Argo" producer, George Clooney became the second person to have been nominated for best picture, director, screenplay and actor. Who was the first?
A. Warren Beatty
B. Charlie Chaplin
C. Robert Redford
D. Orson Welles
9. True or false: If Daniel Day-Lewis is awarded best actor for "Lincoln," he will become the first person to win an Oscar for playing an actual U.S. president.
10. Which president has not previously been portrayed in an Oscar-nominated performance?
A. John Quincy Adams
B. Harry S. Truman
C. Richard Nixon
D. John F. Kennedy
11. Which actor has been nominated twice for playing U.S. presidents?
A. Anthony Hopkins
B. Frank Langella
C. Raymond Massey
D. James Whitmore
12. "Lincoln" leads the field with 12 nominations. What was the last movie with at least 12 nominations not to win best picture?
A. The Social Network
B. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
C. Saving Private Ryan
D. The Color Purple
13. "Lincoln" producers Kathleen Kennedy and Steven Spielberg are now tied with a record-breaking eight best picture nominations. Which was not one of Kennedy's other best picture nominees?
A. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
B. Schindler's List
D. The Sixth Sense
14. "Amour" is nominated for both best picture and best foreign-language film. Which one of the previous dual nominees did not win the foreign-language film Oscar?
A. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
B. The Emigrants
C. Life Is Beautiful
15. "Silver Linings Playbook" earned Oscar nominations in all four acting categories. What was the last movie with that distinction?
A. Little Miss Sunshine
B. The Silence of the Lambs
D. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
16. What was the last movie with nominees in all four acting categories to win best picture?
A. The Silence of the Lambs
C. From Here to Eternity
D. Mrs. Miniver
17. "Life of Pi" is this year's sole best picture nominee with no acting nominations. What was the last best picture winner with no acting nominations?
A. Slumdog Millionaire
B. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
D. The Last Emperor
18. Which movie features three current Oscar nominees who also were nominated for 2005 Oscars?
C. The Master
D. Silver Linings Playbook
19. Nine of this year's acting nominees are previous Oscar winners. Who of the following has not won for each prior nomination?
A. Sally Field
B. Helen Hunt
C. Christoph Waltz
D. Denzel Washington
20. Which current acting nominee received his or her first Oscar nomination the longest ago?
A. Alan Arkin
B. Robert De Niro
C. Sally Field
D. Tommy Lee Jones