Alfa Addition Meets Demand for Housing in Ashland
By 1910, Ashland, Ore., was primed for growth, with a population topping 5,000, a clean water supply, sewage systems and a hospital. Landed families were turning property over to developers for quick sales.
The large home at 1068 East Main Street, built by J.C. Emerick in 1908 and sold a year later to George Morse, served as the corner of the Alfa Addition, platted by Morse for residential development in 1909. In August, the Mail Tribune advertised the Alfa Addition lots by inviting the public for ice cream and music. Developers asked for 20 percent down and 10 percent quarterly.
E.K. Anderson installed his daughter Lena Anderson Phillips in the home, and later Anderson’s granddaughter, Vetabelle Anderson Phillips Carter came to live there, hence its name, the Emerick-Phillips House.
The house adjoined to two other buildings, a shed built in 1872, perhaps by Eber Emery and a farmhouse built in 1872 by Stephen Gum or perhaps Abraham Bish.
Paulena Phillips Carter Verzeano sold the family property in 2017. The home will be moved in 2018 to make room for high density housing. The two attached structures will be removed.
Sources: Atwood, Kay. The Emerick-Phillips House. State of Oregon Inventory of Historic Properties, 1985. http://heritagedata.prd.state.or.us/historic/index.cfm?do=v.dsp_siteSummary&resultDisplay=41160; City of Ashland, Oregon. Planning Department. Planning Action PA-2017-01059 re 1068 East Main Street. Planning Commission meeting Tuesday July 11, 2017. http://www.ashland.or.us/SIB/files/PA-2017-01059_NOC.pdf; Mail Tribune, 1 Aug., 1909, page 2.
As It Was is a co-production of Jefferson Public Radio and the Southern Oregon Historical Society. As It Was stories are broadcast weekdays on Jefferson Public Radio and are available online at asitwas.org.