fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100

Dec. 18, 1914

Loris Martin, notorious game poacher, and for years defiant of game laws, slayer of Game Warden A.S. Hubbard at his cabin nine miles east of Trail yesterday afternoon, is in the county jail, and the body of the victim lies where it fell awaiting the arrival of Coroner A.E. Kellogg of Gold Hill, en route to the scene.

Martin was brought to the county jail this afternoon, and has requested that Evan Reames act as his attorney, and will make a plea of self defense.

Martin surrendered to Sheriff Singler this morning, after spending the night at the home of his sister, Mrs. C.T. Skyrman.

The only eye witness to the tragedy was Constable Al Irwin of Ashland, who accompanied Hubbard on the fatal trip, and who was paralyzed with fear after the encounter.

Shot at Close Range

According to Irwin's story to Sheriff Singler, Irwin and Hubbard reached the Martin cabin about noon yesterday, for which they had search warrants. Searching the cabin they found two hams of deer, and were on their way from the cabin when they met Martin coming out of the heavy timber, where he had been attending to traps. the following exchange of words followed, Irwin and Hubbard being on horseback.

"Hello, Hubbard," said Martin.

"Hello, Martin," Hubbard replied.

"What the h--l are you doing here?" came the response.

With these words, according to Sheriff Singler, Hubbard dismounted and walked towards Martin, the affair occurring in a clearing.

As the game warden advanced, Martin shouted:

"Don't come any further or I'll shoot."

Shot Within Six Feet

Hubbard in the performance of his duty, continued, and when within six feet of Martin, the latter fired with his rifle, the bullet striking in the middle of the breast, causing instant death. Irwin from his horse witnessed this drama, and says that just before the fatal shot, shouted to Hubbard to stop.

When Sheriff Singler arrived yesterday night at 9:30 o'clock at the scene of the shooting, he found Hubbard laying in the ground where he fell, with his gun on the ground nearby and the glove of the right hand off.

After the shooting Irwin, according to Sheriff Singler, told Martin not to shoot him, and telling the murderer to look after the body, left for help. Sheriff Singler and Deputy Wilson met Irwin at Trail yesterday evening, and asked him to return with them, which he refused to do, saying he was tired and the horses had no feed. Constable Irwin was greatly excited by the shooting and refused to return to the scene.