Mail Tribune 100
May 5, 1917, continued
Editor’s note: There was no May 6, 1917, paper.
JACKSONVILLE TO LOSE CROSSINGS
The street crossings which made Jacksonville famous and which effectively barred the touring and visiting public from the county seat will soon be only a memory, the city officials having decided upon their abolition. Instead of driving traffic away, the historic old town is going to make a bid for it by an extensive program of improvements. The main streets are to be graded and graveled, and drinking fountains installed across from the city hall and court house. Graveling operations are already underway and within a few weeks Jacksonville will be as much sought by the autoist as it has been avoided.
The crossings, which did the business, were concrete inventions that stood up a foot above the grade of the street, to be sure that one could cross without muddy feet, it evidently having been figured out by the enterprising inventor that the streets were a sea of mud. But about the time the crossings were built, it ceased raining and mud hasn't bothered Jacksonville since.
NEW EVANS CREEK BRIDGE COMPLETED
The new bridge built by the county over Evans creek about one mile south of Wimer was competed this week and on Wednesday was thrown open to traffic. The new structure is a long needed improvement and is of great benefit to the public.
The approximate cost of the bridge is about $15,000. It has two spans of 40 feet, one of 64 feet and one of 20 feet. The bridge was built under the supervision of J. C. Smith, former county commissioner.
Jackson county ranks fifth in the number of cars, having 1,307 registered on March 1.