fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Jan. 2, 1919

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Jan. 2, 1919


All residents should resolve during this new year to purchase home made goods and thereby build up home industries.

If every man, woman and child realized the truth about the importance of buying, whenever possible, goods that are made in the Rogue river valley, then our industries would receive orders and prosperity in unheard of proportions. And they, in turn, would employ labor, pay taxes, and support other industries, so that prosperity would be the lot of our people.

When ordering of your grocer or any other merchant, ask them if they have any of the goods made in this valley and if they have, insist on having them. The goods are guaranteed and the prices as low or lower.


Quite a sensation was caused throughout the city when it became known that Ray H. Toft, the money loaner and broker, and W. H. Smith, the roofing contractor, well known citizens of Medford, had been arrested Tuesday, in the first alleged bootlegging case of several months, and were given preliminary hearing before Circuit Judge Calkins the same day, at the conclusion of which both were held to the grand jury, which meets the third Monday in February.

Chief of Police Timothy who made the arrests asserts that he had long suspected Toft of bootlegging from his office on West Main street and kept a close watch. Last Tuesday forenoon he saw Smith going up to Toft’s office and when the former came down to the street again he was searched and a pint of whiskey was found on him. Smith at once said that he had purchased the liquor of Toft and agreed to report immediately at County Prosecutor Roberts’ office, which he did, whereupon the chief went up stairs and placing Toft under arrest conducted him to the office of the prosecutor.

Smith repeated his assertion before the prosecutor that he had purchased the whiskey of Toft. The latter denied to Prosecutor Roberts that he had sold Smith or anyone else whiskey or other liquor. Later in the day both men were given their preliminary hearing before Judge Calkins. Toft on the charge of selling intoxicating liquor, and Smith on the charge of receiving it. Smith pleaded guilty and testified that he paid Toft $3.50 for the pint of booze. Toft entered a general denial of the charge.

Both were bound over to the grand jury, Smith under a bond of $250, which was furnished. Toft, who is a large property owner, was released on his own recognizance. The penalty on conviction of selling intoxicating liquor is a fine of $500 or six months’ imprisonment in the county jail, or both.

News from 100 years ago