fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, Jan. 17, 1919

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

Jan. 17, 1919


So captivated was the large audience at the Rialto theater last night with the lecture of Baroness Huard that when she had finished and been given prolonged applause the people sat still in their seats hoping for more, when the former American girl looked up and smilingly remarked, “The meeting is adjourned.”

From beginning to end the audience was entranced with Baroness Huard’s story of the hardships, struggles and privations suffered by the French people during the war, and of the cruelties and almost unbelievable vandalism of the German army. The lecture was illustrated with lantern slides. Her story followed closely her articles published in the Saturday Evening Post, especially describing how the German vandals mutilated and desecrated her own home.

She described how she had found her home and estate after the German invaders had gone, and of how she had it cleaned out and restored enough to establish in it a hospital for wounded French soldiers, with crude appliances and limited help, for which the French government could only spare her 36 cents a day per patient. Finally she conceived the idea about two years ago of coming to America and raising enough money to support the hospital by giving lectures, which she did, and money for its proper support had been flowing in ever since. By government orders the hospital was removed to Paris, where it is still doing its great work of mercy.

Her description of the heroic, stoic conduct and unity of the French people, their never-give-up spirit and patriotism, was wound up with the applause receiving remark, “I am proud to be an adopted citizen of such a country.”

Baron and Baroness Huard left for the south this afternoon. The baron was a guest at the University club for luncheon this noon. Baroness Huard’s great and self sacrificing work for the hospital will soon be ended, according to her agreement with the French government she will continue the operation of the hospital for six months after the armistice is signed.


Hale and hearty, bronzed from his year’s service in France, and his participation in the St. Mihiel and Argonne forest drives, Lieutenant Colonel Edward E. Kelly, former county attorney of Jackson county, and until last week, chief signal officer of the 80th division, serving in General Liggett’s first army, arrived in Medford Friday, to join his family, having at his own request been discharged from the army.

Colonel Kelly left Medford in September, 1917, having been commissioned major in the signal corps, on account of service in the Philippines. After a brief course of training at the Presidio of Monterey, he was sent at once to France, arriving early in December. For six months he was chief signal officer of the advanced section lines of communication before being transferred to the battle line, where his excellent work secured his promotion.

For more stories like this, check out “The Archive,” a podcast series at mailtribune.com/podcasts

News from 100 years ago