Mail Tribune 100, Feb. 24, 1919
The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.
Feb. 24, 1919
ASHLAND PARK BEING BEAUTIFIED FOR COMING SEASON
Ashland, Feb. 24 — Local parks are being made ready for the summer influx of tourists and picnic parties, and the favored spots will be more beautiful than ever the coming season. Hardy native shrubs and trees lead in the matter of giving permanency to the sylvan environment. Chief among the tree and shrub classifications which have been planted recently are 500 Oregon grape, 200 creeping maple, 200 columbine, 150 calphinal, 30 juniper, 75 cedar, 100 wild currant, 150 Scotch broom, 18 English walnut, 26 dogwood, 54 red willow, 15 Virginia creeper, 25 paradise tree, 17 wild lilac, 48 maple, 10 elm and 90 bunches of rushes, not to mention a lot of minor descriptions. All of these growths have got a fine start, and an enumeration is made in order that one may realize the extent and diversity which is being planned inside the park area. Live oak will be experimented with 25 specimens of the sturdy growth having been planted.
Flowers and bulbs already in place include about 5,000 tulips, 2,000 carnations, 3,600 lilies, 500 sweet Williams, 1,000 hollyhocks, 500 foxglove, 1,500 gladiola, and 1,800 dahlia bulbs. These have been selected with great care, and the necessary cultivation is attended to strictly in line with the pains bestowed in the matter of selection. Those who have heretofore noted the beautiful appearance of the park surroundings will find the adornment greatly enhanced in the approaching “good old summer time.”
The annual report of the park commission exhibits a gratifying condition, both as regards the physical status of the park area on the one hand, and the financial balance sheet on the other. Total receipts the past year, including a balance from 1917, were a trifle over $6,100. Of this sum the annual tax levy yielded approximately $4,000. The sale of cups at the mineral springs founts netted nearly $570, and gas privileges about $120. The Chautauqua park special appropriation was $300. Disbursements were a trifle over $4,700, the specific balance on hand, Dec. 31, 1918, having been $1,392.42. The payroll for upkeep amounted to $3,387.47 as far as labor is concerned. A major permanent improvement is the installation of 3,000 feet of water-pipe with automatic sprinklers, devices which greatly reduce the former cost and labor incident to irrigating the plants and lawns. Nearly 500 feet of one-inch hose has also been added to the equipment.
Park commission officials hold no sinecures. The extent of the system implies lots of work both theoretical and practical, while the scope of improvements continually being installed are sufficient to busy the members of the board in overseeing details. Individually they take pride in these activities, rendering a public spirited service in behalf of beautifying our local recreation and playgrounds, which are becoming one of the noted park reserves on the Pacific coast and a delightful resting spot for tourists and campers.