fb pixel

Log In

Reset Password

Mail Tribune 100, March 18, 1919

The following news items were drawn from the archives of the Mail Tribune 100 years ago.

March 18, 1919


Efforts are being made to have the Medford office of the Federal Employment service kept open for the next two months at the expense of the county, by which time the new congress will have met and made an appropriation to continue the 700 odd federal employment bureaus throughout the country. Already the matter has been broached to the county court. If this financial aid is not forthcoming the office must close next Saturday.

Milton S. Janes, the local superintendent of the office, offers to donate his services free to keep the office open, and the only expense the county is asked to provide is for office rent and office incidental expenses. Already similar arrangements have been made to keep open the local offices in several counties of Oregon.

“By closing the office here and keeping it closed for two months, it would take me a long time to get things running again, and in the meantime many employers and men seeking employment would be the sufferers,” said Superintendent Janes today.

“Work was just beginning to open up in earnest when the news came that the office would have to close because congress had adjourned without making an appropriation for the maintenance of the federal employment service. I had more calls from employers for men last week alone than for a month past, and more men were placed in employment last week than for weeks past. By keeping the office open I can give a better service and not lose communications between employers and employees, and general touch of the employment situation in this big territory, than if the office was closed for two months and then reopened.”

Superintendent Janes is doing a land office business helping soldiers, sailors and marines to file claims for the $60 bonus recently allowed by congress, and in making papers by their discharge papers. He has no assistants, not even one, and the clerical work alone is almost swamping him.


Harrison Riggs who was shot a week ago by Deputy Sheriff McDonald has so far recovered that it is now known that he will suffer no permanent injury from the effects of the bullet wound thru his shoulder. Sensation has returned to his right arm and hand which were paralyzed until a day or two ago. Mr. Riggs is now sitting up. He will be able to leave the Medford sanitarium in a week for his home, but it will be a month yet before he will be able to work. The superintendent of the Frink orchard of which Riggs is foreman, has thoroly investigated the shooting and announced that the company will back up Riggs in every way.

News from 100 years ago